your thoughts please.

/ your thoughts please. #11  
I'm a ford guy so I'm gonna reccomend a few ford models, but the list is by no means exhaustive. There are similar ferguson/massey ferguson models that are just as tough/utilitarian and collectable/workable, with good parts support.. and not bad prices.. and have good track records.

my recomendation would be a ford gasser from 1955 thru 1964 IE.. a 4 cyl.

get one preferably with a 5 spd trans and a live pto. these models will have a 6 as the middle of 3 digits for the 55-62 models.. in 63/64, there were the 4 cyl 2000/4000.. if it has a 5spd.. it was live pto, if not swapped out.

if going 65+ like 65-75, then get a 2000-3000 with preferable 8spd and live pto, and power steering.. and I'd go diesel. in the 76+ i'd go with a 2600, 3600 or 4600su.. all those are smallish and can maneuver.

if you want bigger.. go with a 1965+ 4XXX NON SU model.

soundguy

/ your thoughts please. #12  
OK....First off.....I have a number of older tractors as well as a number of new/newer tractors. When it comes to reliability, frequency of needed repairs, and simplicity of service, the OLDER tractors win hands down. The single most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned is the 40+ year old MF150 in my avatar photo. Get a decent older used tractor and it will surprise you just how much LESS maintenance intensive it is relative to newer tractors.

The "simplest" tractor to maintain or work on I've ever been around.....? Same tractor. But it goes beyond that. I have a number of tractors in the 30 to 50 year old range. They'll go when the new ones don't want to. They'll work right along side the new ones and do so with no fuss or fanfair. "Back in the day", when these tractors were designed and built, farmers still did 90% of their own repairs and maintenance. It was considered a key function of those older tractors to be simple and reliable....simple enough that the average "shade tree mechanic" could take a handful of tools and a manual and do everything that a tractor would ever throw at you.

I've bought and resold literally hundreds of tractors over a lifetime. I did that as a second (3rd?) income. Still do it to this day. I've moved 11 tractors since Jan 1, 2011. Over the years I've owned (for however long or short a time) Allis Chalmers, Case, Cockshutt, David Brown, Ford, Ferguson, International Harvester, John Deere, Kubota, Massey Harris, Massey Ferguson, Minneapolis Moline, Oliver, even one Stieger..... NONE...NOT ONE....ZERO were any LESS trouble, MORE dependable, or easier to work on than the Massey Ferguson 100 series. (ie 135, 150, 165, 175, 180/185) I've had bigger, I've had smaller, I've had newer, I've had older.....but as a generality, NONE were "better". And the single most impressive feature was their utter simplicity. They were still close enough to the original concept that Harry Ferguson laid down when he went in to the tractor business. Make 'em so that farmers could own 'em without breaking the bank....Simple and reliable, economic to operate, and make 'em run on like the energizer bunny. Parts are easy to come by. AGCO/MF supports them well.

Pick a size (hp) and there are dozens of us who'll be more than happy to walk you through the inspection/selection process with everything we've learned about the "oldies" over the years.

Boy!!!!!!!! All good input! As you may know, I've got a '47 JD "M". The fact that a farmer could "fix them in the field", was a real asset back in the 40-'s - 50's. Their's a ton of 8-9n Ford out there also! The computer age made alot of this stuff much more complex than it needed to be to pull a plow!!!! ~Scotty

/ your thoughts please. #13  
Boy!!!!!!!! All good input! As you may know, I've got a '47 JD "M". The fact that a farmer could "fix them in the field", was a real asset back in the 40-'s - 50's. Their's a ton of 8-9n Ford out there also! The computer age made alot of this stuff much more complex than it needed to be to pull a plow!!!! ~Scotty

I'm installing an auto steer gps system on my planter tractor before next season....I feel like I've sold my soul to the devil....:(

/ your thoughts please. #15  
i know that guy.. he generally hits auctions.. buys junky tractors. if they are easy to fix he make sthem run and sells them.. otherwise he parts them. I've bought a set of tires and rims from an 8n off him recently..

soundguy

/ your thoughts please. #16  
My favorite all round is my 3000 ford diesel 74 model. Got a 51 c farmall great for laying out a big garden, but don't have many other uses for it. My 63 JD 1010 can tackle most small jobs as well

/ your thoughts please. #17  
My suggestion would be to let go of the fun of learning to fix a tractor and run your JD for the tasks you need. With what you plan to do I doubt you'll break it. You can save a heap of time and money with my plan. Less fun though...
Maybe your fun could be in hooking up the flat belt drive as you said.
Jim

/ your thoughts please. #18  
I had a 1959 Allis Chalmers D17 gasser. It was rated for about 53 HP and was unstoppable with a brush hog, but in my case I was spending to much time on tune ups, and little stuff. The Allis I had also came with power steering, which was nice, but it started to leak, and the shop manual made it look like building a nuclear bomb might be easier. In any case do what your doing, and really make sure about parts, and service if you need it.

/ your thoughts please. #19  
My only complaint with the fords is tall gears, hard to find a low enough gear for some things, sherman transmision helps. I have never had an old massey. I am real partial to my old Farmall. I have a theory that any old tractor is a good tractor, because in most cases if it wasn't a good tractor it would have been parted or scrapped long ago. I like the old tractors better for farming chores, seams they don't make tractors under 50 hp for farming anymore.

/ your thoughts please. #20  
on the gearing.. just have to look around. depending what you are doing.. pto or drawbar.. gots lots of options with add on trans, or 5-6-8-10spd trannies..e tc.

soundguy