PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy?

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #1  

wrooster

Platinum Member
Folks,

I purchased a used TPH implement and the relatively short PTO shaft which came with it is "not quite" long enough to make me comfortable. There is only about 2" of overlap on the shafts, with the load requiring about 15HP. I would be more comfortable with 6" or better of overlap, which is towards the 2/3rd's of overall length rule of thumb for overlap.

The shaft I have is made by Binacchi, model CS42511. With a little Googling I have since discovered that this PTO shaft was cut down from it's original length. I removed the plastic guards and found that the now-cut PTO shaft tubes themselves are held in place by roll pins. These are "triangular lobed" Italian style tubes, by the way.

The items I would need are shown below as #6 and #7. I need tube style "B4" as shown on the Binacchi cross reference table below.

On to my question:

In order to lengthen a PTO shaft, is it economical to replace only the tubes, or do I just buy an entire new shaft? If the former, does anyone know of a good source for these triangular lobe tubes? I'm on the east coast of the USA.

(By the way, I know I can use a PTO shaft coupling extension but would like to investigate replacement tubes before taking that route.)

Thanks,
Wrooster

nem49s92wpag4.jpg

tec3.jpg

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #2  
It is probabaly most economical to buy a whole new shaft. Probabally with a little googling you can buy a complete setup for under $100.

Haytools.com a forum sponser here, comes to mind. Give him a call. All you need to know is what size/type of ends you have, and OAL.

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #3  
The local Rural King store keeps the tube in stock. I don't have the price but it isn't bad. I have done this project several times. If you cut the weld at both yokes the yoke has a short slip over shoulder to help keep it lined up.

I have kept several sets of tube I have cut from long shafts. How much tube do you need?

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy?
I have kept several sets of tube I have cut from long shafts. How much tube do you need?
I only need about 16" of each tube (outer and inner). The overall PTO shaft, when mounted in position with the implement, is not long at all.

Wrooster

Good grief! :confused:

#4 internal tubing: $45.49
1525801 #4 INTERNAL TUBING 59-EUROCARDA - Agri Supply

They are out of stock on the #4 external tubing but the average of the #3 and #5 is $40.22.

So $45.49 + $40.22 = $85.71 + shipping, for two new tubes! :confused2:

I'm sure I can find a complete #4 PTO shaft assembly for about the same price.

There must be a better source for just the tubes, or I am going about this the wrong way...

Wrooster

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #6  
If you have a farm implement used equipment/scrap dealer, they have any size you need, generally.

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #7  
I've tried to buy from a local machine shop, once a couple of years ago, they would have to order it, so, I order it myself and cut out the middle man. No one stocks just the shafting or tubing around here. The small horsepower PTO parts are hard to find. Just the large hp industrial farm parts are only stock 'round here. Baum Hydraulics seems to be the best for catalog order. bjr

Baum Hydraulics seems to be the best for catalog order. bjr
According to their catalog, they want $83.56 for a 60" inner tube, and $75.40 for a 60" outer tube.

That is a lot of coin -- and I only need about 1/4th of that length.

Wrooster

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #9  
Go to tractor supply and pick up a PTO shaft extension for less than $30 for 12" extension. That is going to be the cheapest and easiest route to take.

/ PTO shaft tubes -- economical? where to buy? #10  
you will want to be sure that a longer shaft will not bottom out when you raise your implement or make a sharp turn