1974 Ford 2000 will not run

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #1  

farminbubba

Tractor
Ford 2000, Mahindra 485, Massey ferguson special 35
i have a 1975 ford 2000 diesel. its was running fine then one day it sputtered and died. i have changed the fuel filters both inside and outside the tank. Drained the tank, blew out the fuel lines and bled them. Had the injectors checked they were all good. It will start and run for about 15min then sputter and die. You can wait a few hours and it will start and run for about 15 min. While it is running it does sputter a little. anything i can try? i need help!

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #2  
i have a 1975 ford 2000 diesel. its was running fine then one day it sputtered and died. i have changed the fuel filters both inside and outside the tank. Drained the tank, blew out the fuel lines and bled them. Had the injectors checked they were all good. It will start and run for about 15min then sputter and die. You can wait a few hours and it will start and run for about 15 min. While it is running it does sputter a little. anything i can try? i need help!

If it's a diesel, did you also clean the return liine to the tank?

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #3  
Completely remove the bleed screw from the injector pump. Crank the engine over with the starter, fuel shutoff pulled out to the kill position. Does the fuel pump out the bleed screw hole far enough to hit the tire?

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #4  
Also, going back to basics, is the vent on the fuel tank cap plugged? An easy way to test this is loosen, or remove the cap and see if the problem still occurs. If the tank can't vent air into it, eventually it will vacuum lock and can't supply fuel to the engine.
Another thing to check is the fuel shutoff valve on the tank, if so equipped. do you get good fuel flow out of the tank?

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #5  
Also, going back to basics, is the vent on the fuel tank cap plugged? An easy way to test this is loosen, or remove the cap and see if the problem still occurs. If the tank can't vent air into it, eventually it will vacuum lock and can't supply fuel to the engine.
Another thing to check is the fuel shutoff valve on the tank, if so equipped. do you get good fuel flow out of the tank?

Good suggestion on checking the tank vent. The same thing happens when I forget to open the vent on my portable outboard motor tanks. The motor runs fine just long enough to get me out into the current then dies.

/ 1974 Ford 2000 will not run #6  
Good suggestion on checking the tank vent. The same thing happens when I forget to open the vent on my portable outboard motor tanks. The motor runs fine just long enough to get me out into the current then dies.

I've always worked under the theory check the easy/inexpensive items first. Then progress up through the more difficult/costly solutions.