Is my Hyd pump bad?? Help please

/ Is my Hyd pump bad?? Help please #1  

jstrong625

Tractor
john deere la130
Hi guys, I just bought at 54 jubilee and the 3pt lift does not work. I was told by the previous owner that the vane style pump was bad and should be replaced with the piston style. I have been doing alot of reading on the web because i want to make sure that is what is wrong before replacing. I read somewhere that I should take off the top plate and start the engine with the pto on. I did this and fluid shot out of what i would guess is the pressure side from the hydraulic pump. If that is true the pump is working, correct?? Sorry if i sound dumb, but this is my first tractor. Thanks again for your help, Joe

/ Is my Hyd pump bad?? Help please #2  
someone gave you really really bad advice.

1, the pto does not have to be running for a 53+ to have hyds.. that was a 39-52 issue.

2, if you took the top cover off without properly loosening the backpressure valve under the acorn nut.. you may have ruined it.

checking hyd flow could simply have been done by removing the pip plug int he lil cover under the right front of the seat.

if ou are making flow, but no lift, and there is no oil leaking from the cyl .. then the relief could be stuck open, or the unloading valve could be sticking. a VERY common issue.

while it is true the vane pumps have mostly worn out and been repalced with piston.. we are not to that point of proclaiming yours worn.. yet.

once we get the unloader working, or verified working , then we can check the relief and pressure.

soundguy

/ Is my Hyd pump bad?? Help please
I removed the plug you mentioned and no flow. I tried removing the small line under the pump as stated in the repair manual and there is flow there. Any more help would be great. Oh I did remove the backpressure before removing the cover

/ Is my Hyd pump bad?? Help please #4  
if you had flow out of the center housing, you should have flow at that plug, unless you have a huge leak under the top cover, perhaps at the rear of the cyl assy.

soundguy