TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise

/ TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise #1  

carrie734

Tractor
new holland tc45d
We bought a new battery and it started right up. Then the next day the battery was dead. We checked the fuses by unplugging one at a time. We went to plug in one of the fuses and it started making this crackling noise while the fuse was plugged in, even with the key out of the ignition. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be. We can't identify the fuse because the diagram is wrong in the manuel. No other fuse makes this noise while plugged in but it has to have something to do with the battery.

/ TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise #2  
I believe the crackling sound you hear is the grounding or shorting of that particular fuse line going to ground. Your need to follow wire in each direction looking for cracked or worn insulation on wire and repair or replace wire.
DevilDog

/ TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise #4  
Carrie, the attachment below is the correct fuse diagram and description for your tractor. Please use it to help and please let us know what you find. It sounds to me like you may have a faulty key switch that is not turning completely off or you've had a rodent get into your wiring and chewed you into some very messy problems.

EDIT: There are two fuses that have power when the key switch is off. Fuse 6 supplies power to your hazard flasher circuit and fuse 7 supplies power to the headlights. If either of those switches on the dash are depressed, that could be the reason for your arcing when you installed the fuses.

Attachments

• Afuseblock.jpg
    Afuseblock.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5,699
   / TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise
Carrie, the attachment below is the correct fuse diagram and description for your tractor. Please use it to help and please let us know what you find. It sounds to me like you may have a faulty key switch that is not turning completely off or you've had a rodent get into your wiring and chewed you into some very messy problems.

EDIT: There are two fuses that have power when the key switch is off. Fuse 6 supplies power to your hazard flasher circuit and fuse 7 supplies power to the headlights. If either of those switches on the dash are depressed, that could be the reason for your arcing when you installed the fuses.

Very helpful info will check it out. But the fuse diagram is not the one with the crackling fuse, the other fuses are on the side of the tractor, running to parts under hood.

/ TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise #6  
Very helpful info will check it out. But the fuse diagram is not the one with the crackling fuse, the other fuses are on the side of the tractor, running to parts under hood.

Carrie, I own a TC45D. The only fuse not in the fuseblock shown is the 40 amp main fuse located just above the starter. That fuse supplies power to all the other fuses and to the glow plugs directly when you first turn the key ON. It also supplies the ignition switch directly. The starter has no fuse whatsoever for its main power to the starter motor. The starter motor pulls so much current that it is almost never fused on any tractor.

If you have other fuses on your tractor, it's possible something has been wired into the tractor that was not on the original and those are the fuses you are having problems with. I don't know of any New Holland option that would use additional fuses like that, but especially if you bought your tractor used, you could have something the last owner wired up. A photo would help, but I understand you are trying to get your tractor going and taking pictures is not on your priority list.:)

Carrie, I own a TC45D. The only fuse not in the fuseblock shown is the 40 amp main fuse located just above the starter. That fuse supplies power to all the other fuses and to the glow plugs directly when you first turn the key ON. It also supplies the ignition switch directly. The starter has no fuse whatsoever for its main power to the starter motor. The starter motor pulls so much current that it is almost never fused on any tractor.

If you have other fuses on your tractor, it's possible something has been wired into the tractor that was not on the original and those are the fuses you are having problems with. I don't know of any New Holland option that would use additional fuses like that, but especially if you bought your tractor used, you could have something the last owner wired up. A photo would help, but I understand you are trying to get your tractor going and taking pictures is not on your priority list.:)

We bought it new, i will try to take a pic of the area i am talking about. Maybe they are not considered fuses. They are located by the main fuse.Its a board with wires come out of the back. There are two bigger black pieces that say Dill Blox Diode module and smaller grey ones that say Bosch 12v the smaller grey one is making the noise when plugged into board. I know i sound like i have no idea what im doing but my Dad just passed away 2 months ago and he was the go to guy for repairs. We are trying to see if its something we can address with the help of one of our workers without paying the high cost of labor.

We bought it new, i will try to take a pic of the area i am talking about. Maybe they are not considered fuses. They are located by the main fuse.Its a board with wires come out of the back. There are two bigger black pieces that say Dill Blox Diode module and smaller grey ones that say Bosch 12v the smaller grey one is making the noise when plugged into board. I know i sound like i have no idea what im doing but my Dad just passed away 2 months ago and he was the go to guy for repairs. We are trying to see if its something we can address with the help of one of our workers without paying the high cost of labor.

ok by looking at another thread i figured out they are glow plugs im talking about and the 12v one makes the crackling sound while plugged in even with the key out of the ignition, i dont know if that can help you better.

/ TC45d new holland battery draing and fuse noise #9  
Carrie, you must be talking about relays. Glowplugs are actually screwed into the top of the engine and there are 4 of them (1 for each cylinder on your tractor). I believe you are talking about the glow plug relays on the left side of the steering wheel up under the black plastic cowling. I've attached a photo. I believe your glowplug power relay (#6 in this illustration) is bad and is drawing current. It is one of those things that doesn't go through any fuse except the main power fuse. Like the light switch and the hazard flasher, it can draw current if it is bad, even with the key off. You should be able to pull that relay and your tractor still run fine as long as it doesn't get too cold. Also, you could pull the relay right above it marked #3 in this illustration. It is an identical relay. You could use it to replace the glowplug relay. Relay #3 is used only to run your cruise control. If you don't need cruise control, you can just leave it out until you have time to get a replacement.

I'm assuming a lot with this post, just trying to get you going. If you can still post a picture, that would be terrific. Then, I'd know if I was telling you the right info.

EDIT: Please disregard what I said about swapping relay #6 and #3. In the diagram below, the glow plug power relay is #10. There is no substitute for this relay. To the left of this relay is #8, the headlight relay and the unmarked relay to the left of that is the glow plug timer that shuts your glowplugs off after 10 seconds. I apologize for leading you down the wrong path above. The names in this glowplug circuit are confusing even for me. The #6 relay is the one that lights the glowplug light on your instrument panel.

Attachments

• All-relays.jpg
    All-relays.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 12,768
Last edited:
You are hitting the nail right on the head. What your describing is exactly what im talking about. I believe one is stuck on and not turning off. Which is draining the battery.