129 Hydrostatic Cub from the 70's

/ 129 Hydrostatic Cub from the 70's #1  

KSagal

Tractor
Cub Cadet 129 Hydrostatic
I am new to this kind of thing. I have this great old tractor, but recently the machine would not always start...

I could hear the starter solenoid fire when I turn the key, but the starter would not spin...

If I used the key to quickly cycle the starter, it would sometimes work...

Today it would not fire up at all, but I could not find the starter. After some looking around, I am guessing that the device on the side of the Kohler engine that I thought was a belt driven alternator may actually do double duty as a belt driven starter?

Anyway, I thought of an old trick from my Mopar muscle car days, and turned the ignition key on, and shorted the terminals on the starter solenoid. Cranked right up...

So I am guessing that the solenoid fires, but the contacts are bad. And I have no idea where to find if I am even close to correct, or where to find a starter solenoid for this tractor.

I am calling a device that is bolted to the side wall under the dash, and a couple inches forward from the ignition switch itself, the starter solenoid. I may be wrong there, but is sure looks like a period appropriate starter solenoid.

Any advice would be helpful.

/ 129 Hydrostatic Cub from the 70's #2  
The 129 is an awsome tractor! I believe that you have found the problem and if a cadet dealer is not nearby most auto parts stores should stock them.