Coolant/Antifreeze

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #1  

msb1766

Platinum Member
Tractor
SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar
Is there a special type of coolant/antifreeze for diesel engins?
My coolant/antifreeze bottle is on the "low" mark and want to bring it up to the "full" mark.

My manual says:
High Quality Permanent Type Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol with corrosion and rust inhibitor chemicals) Coolant Mixture Ratio: 50% Distilled Water 50% Antifreeze.

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #2  
I run regular green Prestone Ethylene Glycol along with New Holland FW-15 conditioner to prevent cavitation in my New Holland.

Some run premixed diesel rated Fleetguard in their tractors that has the conditioned already in it.

Yes, make sure you run distilled water. Regular water leaves mineral deposits.

Some say you don't need conditioner/fleetguard in dry liner engines but my local NH techs highy recommend it.

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #3  
there are fleet 'pre charged' anti freezes.. or you can usually use the green stuff and just add in your own SCA/DCA/electrolysis addatives... quantity figured either by volume or swizzle stick..

soundguy

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #4  
Going to run CAT ELC Pre-mix when we do the 1635 this fall. Good for 3,000 hours straight. Out of the jug, 6,000 with an additive.

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #5  
I run regular green Prestone Ethylene Glycol along with New Holland FW-15 conditioner to prevent cavitation in my New Holland.

Some run premixed diesel rated Fleetguard in their tractors that has the conditioned already in it.

Yes, make sure you run distilled water. Regular water leaves mineral deposits.

Some say you don't need conditioner/fleetguard in dry liner engines but my local NH techs highy recommend it.

Ditto!
RickB, a contibutor on the NH forum and NH Tech recommended 50/50 ethylene glycol (EG) type antifreeze with DCA (Motorcraft FW-15) for coolant replacement when asked about the drain point for the cooling system. The Fleetguard stuff that NH recommends is EG with DCA all ready added. Using distilled water is good if your tap water has a high mineral content.

/ Coolant/Antifreeze #6  
yep.. not only do the addatives prevent cavitation holes.. which is the big problem for wet liner engines.. but it also prevents electrolysis.. which helps fight metal corrosion among disimilar metals.

i run fw-15 or napa cool in all my diesels..

soundguy