Tractor
    SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar

Default Coolant/Antifreeze

Is there a special type of coolant/antifreeze for diesel engins?
    My coolant/antifreeze bottle is on the "low" mark and want to bring it up to the "full" mark.

My manual says:
    High Quality Permanent Type Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol with corrosion and rust inhibitor chemicals) Coolant Mixture Ratio: 50% Distilled Water 50% Antifreeze.
    Cub Cadet/Yanmar TLB Sc2450, Ratchet Rake, Front Snowblower, Back Blade, Spreader, Middlebuster.
    Craftsman GT5000
    Wheelhorse GT-14

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 TC45A

Default Re: Coolant/Antifreeze

I run regular green Prestone Ethylene Glycol along with New Holland FW-15 conditioner to prevent cavitation in my New Holland.

Some run premixed diesel rated Fleetguard in their tractors that has the conditioned already in it.

Yes, make sure you run distilled water. Regular water leaves mineral deposits.

Some say you don't need conditioner/fleetguard in dry liner engines but my local NH techs highy recommend it.
    2006 TC45A

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

there are fleet 'pre charged' anti freezes.. or you can usually use the green stuff and just add in your own SCA/DCA/electrolysis addatives... quantity figured either by volume or swizzle stick..

soundguy

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Going to run CAT ELC Pre-mix when we do the 1635 this fall. Good for 3,000 hours straight. Out of the jug, 6,000 with an additive.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    I run regular green Prestone Ethylene Glycol along with New Holland FW-15 conditioner to prevent cavitation in my New Holland.

Some run premixed diesel rated Fleetguard in their tractors that has the conditioned already in it.

Yes, make sure you run distilled water. Regular water leaves mineral deposits.

Some say you don't need conditioner/fleetguard in dry liner engines but my local NH techs highy recommend it.
    Ditto!
    RickB, a contibutor on the NH forum and NH Tech recommended 50/50 ethylene glycol (EG) type antifreeze with DCA (Motorcraft FW-15) for coolant replacement when asked about the drain point for the cooling system. The Fleetguard stuff that NH recommends is EG with DCA all ready added. Using distilled water is good if your tap water has a high mineral content.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yep.. not only do the addatives prevent cavitation holes.. which is the big problem for wet liner engines.. but it also prevents electrolysis.. which helps fight metal corrosion among disimilar metals.

i run fw-15 or napa cool in all my diesels..

soundguy