Dipper Stick snapped in half

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #51  
Even with my limited ability and skill to weld out of position, I'm pretty certain I could put that back together and make it better than new. It might look like crap but wouldn't break there or anywhere near there again.

I would probably get it together on the machine using the hydraulic cylinders advantage, tack good, then take it off to get in better position for the major plating/ repair.

There is plenty of room all around the boom to put all kinds of extra plating, braces etc.

Eddie I think you should have a portable welder rig owner take a look at it. that's what they do for a living. If you can find the part cheap enough, go for it, but I wouldn't pay out the nose for one.

Good luck, we're all rooting for ya!

JB.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #52  
I'd fix it at home
if you want to move to a shop or tack some scrap across the gap and drive to a good shop.

make a plate to mate with the existing plate

Pull boom in to place cut out the bent sections if you have to and weld it up,
Put mating fish plate on and weld that on if you could get it bent in to a C shape to go around the top and bottom of the boom much better.

I would have some holes in the plate to plug weld it to boom to spread the load out so it isn't just welded at edges.

Then add another plate over the joint between the 2 plates again holes to plug weld it up.

tom

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #53  
I have to disagree with the shop. I dont see how it being still on the BH would make the job any more difficult. I would actually think it would be easier than trying to wrestle around a 300+lb dipperstick on a workbench.

If they are worried about welding "out-of-position" then they shouldnt be in the welding business:confused2:

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #54  
I too am for fix it at home. I am a novice at welding...but an good portable welding rig can fix this on site. I would say these guys who spend the money to fully dress up a welding rig know what they are doing. Hire one.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #55  
Eddie, if you are looking for a used boom, give these guys a call. Schaefer Enterprises Inc. - Home I used to dove hunt with one of their managers and they have a ton of parts and parts machines. Don't know if they have what you need in stock or any idea of what to expect on price if they do but I know they are reputable and can ship to you.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #56  
My 2 cents is if I could find a used (without any cracking visible near the fish plates), I'd get another one. If you want to weld it, by all means remove it from the machine and do it on a workbench or someplace you can secure it in alignment. When you weld it, the metal will move, stretch and shrink, so it has to be secured by clamping.

I do field welding and I'd never attempt to weld that on the tractor. Clamping and alignment would be impossible. Understand, it can be welded on the machine but the results probably won't be acceptable.

It will have to be 'Vee'd out along the break on both sections and multi-pass welded, root pass and finish pass(s) after tacking the parts back together. You'll need to tack and check alignment and weld opposite sides to counteract the shrinking metal, one reason the bench is the place to weld it.

On the bench all the welding will be in position except the tacking. That isn't possible on the machine.

It will be an opportune time to check the pins and bushings as well.

Just my opinion. I do that stuff regularly.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #57  
Being in a forestry area, that kind of break is fixed in the woods all the time, on the bench in the shop it could be fixed easier.

The loader on our last tractor had been plated due to a cracked boom. Look around at older IH 2250 loaders, about 50% have broken boom fixed via plating.

The advice on plate shape is ok, but there are other details to combine with it. Extending the existing gusset to some distance beyond the break is one of those details. If you go far enough along it won't matter what shape the plate is as long as its a good fully penetrating weld with no undercut.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #58  
It will have to be 'Vee'd out along the break on both sections and multi-pass welded, root pass and finish pass(s) after tacking the parts back together. You'll need to tack and check alignment and weld opposite sides to counteract the shrinking metal, one reason the bench is the place to weld it.

Seriously???? Vee it out and multi-pass????

It is just 1/4" steel at them most. And then you are going to fishplate overtop of that.

And this thing doesnt have to be within .000001 on alighnment either. It's just a freaking BH boom:confused2:

Like I said, If it were mine, 2 hours and I'd be back digging and be stronger than before. It wouldnt break there ever again unless every other part of the hoe was bent and mangled along with it.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #59  
Eddie, based on your past experience I'm surprised at your reluctance to fix. I would chain and block it up, pull off the bucket, then cyls., then pull the dipper stick off. Use the loader to move it to flat ground, make clean cut, trim the edges a bit, lay it out all square and then weld it up, then weld the reinforcing plates, some grinding along the way then paint up and you are done.

I'd not weld up in place as there is just too much heat, I'd be scared of frying everything, including a bunch of juice through the machine.

This way you can be sure all bushings, pins and the like are in good shape and sorted out accordingly. I'd be shocked if you could not sure up to a point that you'd never have a break there again.

Nice strong stick welder and you are good to go. If need be, practice on some equally thick stock.

This is not rocket science, the key is to get it lined up perfect as it was, this way you don't run the risk of bending your cylinders when hooked back up.

Good luck either way and sorry for the break, I'm guessing your dad has yet to break as much of your stuff as you broke of his growing up. :)

Sincerely,
Joel

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #60  
FWIW, welders with truck rigs around here go for about 60/hour.

Not saying to do the entire repair still hooked up, but if possible, get all you can done before removing it.

It doesn't have to perfectly straight. When you go to bed, are your sheets ironed perfectly flat? And, don't know if you've looked lately but your hog is muddy. Life is a compromise of what matters a little, and what matters a lot. This is a small thing. Like others have said, it happens somewhat frequently.

So, what if you can find someone to work on it for maybe 500. And it might last 2 years or 10. I would weld it myself and I'm a beginner but I know people who know people who know what to do and I'm not shy about asking how they'd do it.