Dipper Stick snapped in half

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
No pictures right now, but there will be plenty tomorrow.

The Dipper Stick on my 555E Ford/New Holland Loader Backhoe snapped in half this evening. There are also multpiple cracks. The cause is inproper use by my 80 year old father. He's a very hard worker, but he's also very hard on equipment and doesn't realize that hitting it harder doesn't accomplish anything. We just replaced one of the pins on the bucket because of his abuse, and I've been telling him that he's digging wrong, but he doesn't get it, and he's been doing this for a couple thousand hours. The metal just gave up.

I'm completey overwhelmed with how to get it off. I'm thinking about buildng a wooden cradle to support it in position and taking off the bucket, the cylinders and pins. Then cap the hoses and using the front loader to pick it up and get it into my truck.

I've been pricing used dipper sticks online for other brands because I haven't seen a price for mine yet, and they are in the $4,000 to $5,000 range plus shipping. I'm hoping that the welding shop that does all my repairs will be quite a bit cheaper.

Other then a bullet in my head, does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts?

Eddie

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #2  
Sounds like a tough situation - sorry to hear about the severe damage. Without seeing a picture I would suspect that the break and cracks can be welded, then some reinforcing plate welded on over the whole area.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #3  
Wow is about al I can say. Looking forward to some pics, but I am sure it can be welded for far less than 4k:confused2:

Did it do any damage to the bucked cylinder??

As for taking it appart, the bucket chould come off pretty easy. The Cylinder pins should also come off pretty easy. But the dipperstick-mainboom pin is usually the tough one.

I think the 555 is similar to dads 4500 we jsut rebuilt. And that pin was pretty tight. Itis a hardened pin and hardened thick bushing. What we did was use the logsplitter (with a plate instead of wedge) as a horizontal press to aid in repoving and re-installing.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #4  
If the machine has been used as hard as that, I would be afraid the boom would go next, as soon as you have a newer dipper stick put on.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half
Here are the pictures.

I'm nervous about the boom. I've looked for cracks, and haven't seen any, but realize that doesn't mean anything. Once I get the dipper stick off, I'll clean up the boom and look a lot closer.

My dad will dig all day long, day after day, and get a ton accomplished. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that droping the bucket down onto the ground and then digging by curling the bucket and lifting the backhoe's rear tires off of the ground will eventually cause some damage. I knew that something was going to happen, but honestly thought it was going to be excessive wear of the pins.

This has shocked me and left me sick to my stomache. I'm physicaly ill over it, and not wanting to deal with it. Of course, that's just what I will do until I get it apart and loaded into the back of my truck.

Welding and adding plates to it seems like the best option. If I can find a used one, there's no telling what shape it's in, or what it will cost to get it here.

My plan is to get the bucket off, then build a cradle out of wood to hold it up while taking out the main pin off of the boom. It's going to be one of those days of doing one thing at a time, and then on to the next until it's done. I'll take some pictures and update as I can.

Eddie

Attachments

• 301010.jpg
    301010.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 301011.jpg
    301011.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 1,769
  • 301012.jpg
    301012.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 1,040
   / Dipper Stick snapped in half #6  
WoW, Eddie...I have not good advice, sorry:(

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #7  
Ouch ... I'm a novice in welding repairs, looks like to me its almost broke completely off. Is there anyway to jack both ends up into place and do the welding repairs on site?

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #8  
It actually doesnt appear as bad as I thought. I was expecting more bent/twisted metal/

I am assuming since you are planning on taking it appart and taking it to a shop, that you do not have a welder there??

Because honestly, I would NOT dis-assemble to make that repair.

Actually, the hydraulics of the hoe can be used to help bend back into shape and close the gap. At that point, I wouldnt have any problems welding it back together solid, and then re-enforcing with some 1/4" plate on at least the sides and bottom. The plates should be as wide as the dipperstick, and about a foot long each (6" on each side of the weld).

Before you actually start dis-assembly, you may want to see if you can consult with a mobile welder in your area and see what he thinks. He will probabally charge a little more than a shop (due to the convience of being mobile) but it may be worth not having to disassemble and reassemble.

I'm not good enough of a welder to tackle this job. Too much riding on it and I want it done right this time so I never have to deal with it again. Whatever it costs is worth it to make sure that it's not worse the next time.

I didn't think of getting a welder to come here. My experience with welders has been very disapointing over the years. I've found one place that does what they say they will, does it very well, and stands behind their work. It's called Lew's here in Tyler. Unfortunately, they don't do mobile. Everything has to be brought to them, and they do it in their shop.

I really like the idea of getting an expert to come out here and weld it in place. I agree that it's a fairly clean break, and shouldn't be too hard to get back together, then made stronger with some gussets and or braces.

I'm sent out a request on facebook for leads on welders. I'm not in a rush on this, but would like to get it done as soon as possible.

I'm thinking that talking to some welders is going to be the best thing, and if that doesn't work out, I can always tackle taking it apart, bringing it down to Lew's and then putting it back together again.

Thanks,
Eddie

My Dad suggested that I tack it together, strap it together and drive the backhoe to Lew's and have them do it there. I like that better then taking it apart. I will go there Monday morning and see what they think of that idea, or if they have somebody that they can recommend to come out here and do it.

Eddie