Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2032R, John Deere Z930M, John Deere 455, John Deere XUV825i w/Deluxe Cab & Roll Down Windows, Snow Blade

Default Can I fix my table saw motor?

Another thread reminded me of a question I've wanted to ask for some time.

I've got a Ryobi woodworking table saw which served my needs very well, that is until I killed it trying to do dado cuts too aggressively. I just was taking too large a cut, and would have been fine if I'd just done an eighth of an inch or so at a tiem, but NOOOOO......I got in a hurry, and was taking way too much with each cut. Almost no warning before it quit. It really had handled the cuts up to the point it died. I had hoped it was just overheated, and that I could hit the reset button, but I wasn't that lucky.

So now I'm using it as an expensive router table, but sure would be nice to have it back working again for a new project I'm getting ready to start. Is it worth trying to fix the motor, or should I just cut my losses and buy a new table saw? I'm not afraid to tear it apart, but don't have much experience on electric motors other than replacing brushes, but I have experience rebuilding old generators, alternators and starters from cars. Thanks!

GGB

Tractor
    '53 Ford NAA Jubilee, 2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963

Default Re: Can I fix my table saw motor?

Take it to a motor shop. They'll check it, rewind it or whatever.
    "There's gotta be a better way!"

Tractor
    Challenger MT285B, Kubota L4150 , Farmall super A, Farmall Cub

I just took apart my ryobi 3100 saw to seperate the aluminum from the steel for scrap. A new motor for this saw($224 + shipping) costs more than a used saw on Craigslist. I was pissed that an otherwise great saw was made worthless by a less than robust motor. I must admit I was able to use this saw for light work for 19 years but the design was flawed. As soon as people besides me started using it , it was doomed.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Picture of the saw?
    Does int have a separate motor and blade spindle, or does the blade mount on the motor shaft?
    If the blade mounts to the motor, I would take it into a shop and have them work it over. You should be able to get it repaired. Our large (3/4 horse?) motor for the hay elevator stopped starting and we were able to get it rebuilt (including new bearings and a new pulley) for about $120

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2032R, John Deere Z930M, John Deere 455, John Deere XUV825i w/Deluxe Cab & Roll Down Windows, Snow Blade

The blade does mount to the motor. I'll try to get a picture of it a little later when I'm out at the barn. Thanks.

GGB