64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ?

/ 64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ? #1  

brokenpane57

Tractor
1957 International 350 Utility
Just got a 1964 super dexta 2000 diesel. I love old tractors and have had several in my day. This one is a gem. It was very well taken care of and runs like a top, very strong machine for its size. **Here is the problem, the PTO will not free-spin with the clutch in. (something is wrong). It has a two stage clutch, as it is depressed, it first disengages trans., secondly the PTO. Any input as to what it might be, without having to break the unit down. Maybe clutch plate, adjusting clutch pedal, something stuck etc. The PTO lever engages and disengages smoothly without bush hog. With bush hog attached there is a slight grind (engaging) even with clutch pedal depressed and PTO spins turning blades. NO CLUTCHED FREE-SPIN. Looking for that simple thing we all overlook sometimes. I have the Manual and really don't want to go in there if possible. ***What would be the most likely cause.***
Thank you from the,
Old Graybeard

/ 64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ? #2  
Hi! First look for clutch pedal adjustment . Some PTO drag can be normal without no PTO implement connected. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ 64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ?
That is what I'm hoping for, it's a two stage clutch and maybe, just need adjusting. I sure hope so. The internal gear must be spinning, instead of going into neutral position for engagement of the PTO shifter.

/ 64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ? #4  
MY PTO DISK WAS STUCK TO THE FLYWHEEL

/ 64 fordson super dexta 2000 pto & clutch ? #5  
You say the the PTO lever engages and disengages smoothly. I assume you have the engine running at idle and there is no grinding when engaging the PTO.

Does the PTO turn freely when it is disengaged with the lever?

If so then we have a conundrum. What you are stating really can't happen IF ... 1) you are pressing the clutch in fully to disengage the PTO while operating and 2) the PTO engages and disengages without any problems with the lever while the engine is running.

If, as in windy's situation, you had a stuck plate or you couldn't fully depress the clutch, it would grind when engaging the PTO with the lever.

Remember that the brush hog blades have a certain amount of momentum and may still spin with the POT clutch disengaged until the momentum is used up. As long as the you can stop with the clutch fully disengaged and the brush hog blades eventually ceases to turn then everything is operating properly.

PS: You can find plenty of Dexta expertise @ fordsontractorpages.nl