Starter problems, or what?

/ Starter problems, or what? #1  

woodhook13

Tractor
2004 TC29
To keep this from being too lengthly, I'll be brief with my sentences. 2004 New Holland TC29D. Turn key, starter "clicks". After several attemps, starts and runs fine. Park tractor (important info, running fine) remove starter, have checked out, install starter, won't engage flywheel. Remove starter, make sure not installed incorrectly, install again, not engage flywheel. Take starter back to rebuilder, re-checks, install again, same problem. Turn flywheel with screwdriver, fan turns. No teeth missing, flywheel intact. Order new (or re-built) starter, install, same problem. Added Ford solenoid per rebuilder's direction, (boost existing solenoid) same problem. Charged battery, cleaned battery clamps, hooked up battery booster (in case low voltage) same problem. I can hear the starter "whirring" but it won't engage the wheel. I've cleaned around where the starter seats and it bolts up fine. I've cleaned the ground bolt at the frame. I've "jumpered" the solenoid to the starter to bypass other wiring, no help. One thing I haven't done is change the battery cable connectors. They are factory crimped. Can anyone give me something else to look at? I could have two bad starters but that would be very odd. Engine was running fine so internal problem would also be odd. Thanks, B

/ Starter problems, or what? #2  
If the starter wirrs but will not engage the flywheel there is nothing wrong with the starter as such.
By any chance where you watching the rebuilder do your starter. On an older dodge v8 starter the solinoid activates a fork wich pushes the bendix gear over to the fly wheel. This fork pivots on a split cotter pin affair if the pin or fork is not where it should be then the bendix cannot slide to the flywheel.
So, if you can disconnect the battery and remove the cover on the solinoid check for the split pin and fork if there push and pull the fork to see if it moves the bendix to engage the flywheel.
I hope that this helps you

/ Starter problems, or what?
If I bench test the starter and the gear comes out of the housing, will that tell me if the pin and fork are ok?

/ Starter problems, or what? #4  
this will only tell you the starter drive is being engaged but not that the drive is doing its job in turning the flywheel if you can put in a vise and and hookup the battery charger take a piece of wood possibly oak and jam into the drive gear if it quits turning you have a bad drive probably the spings that lock up drive has quit working if you dont feel comfortable go back to rebuilder and ask him to do the test i have mentioned he should be aware of this test if you do not want to go to this builder let me know whare you are located and i will try and help you find someone i know that will help solve the problem from past experience you are describing a bad drive can be easily replaced by rebuilder let me know

/ Starter problems, or what? #5  
To keep this from being too lengthly, I'll be brief with my sentences. 2004 New Holland TC29D. Turn key, starter "clicks". After several attemps, starts and runs fine. Park tractor (important info, running fine) remove starter, have checked out, install starter, won't engage flywheel. Remove starter, make sure not installed incorrectly, install again, not engage flywheel. Take starter back to rebuilder, re-checks, install again, same problem. Turn flywheel with screwdriver, fan turns. No teeth missing, flywheel intact. Order new (or re-built) starter, install, same problem. Added Ford solenoid per rebuilder's direction, (boost existing solenoid) same problem. Charged battery, cleaned battery clamps, hooked up battery booster (in case low voltage) same problem. I can hear the starter "whirring" but it won't engage the wheel. I've cleaned around where the starter seats and it bolts up fine. I've cleaned the ground bolt at the frame. I've "jumpered" the solenoid to the starter to bypass other wiring, no help. One thing I haven't done is change the battery cable connectors. They are factory crimped. Can anyone give me something else to look at? I could have two bad starters but that would be very odd. Engine was running fine so internal problem would also be odd. Thanks, B

I have a 2003 New Holland TC33D and have the exact same problem. The starter would click once and I would turn key to off. Wait a few minutes and try again same thing would happen. After 5 or 10 minutes of trying it would eventually would start. Decided to find problem. Battery is new checked voltage at 12.5v. Checked voltage from ignition wire to starter got 11.5v. Checked for any grounds, none found. Replaced with new starter and it only spins and will not engage flywheel. I am stump, any help would be appreciated

Mitch: The second time I took it back, they did indeed "jam" the drive gear and the shaft and springs were ok. Don't forget I have another starter. I'm more interested in finding the problem now that Bob is having the same problem. Thanks,

/ Starter problems, or what? #7  
it sounds like the wire is not hooked up right on the solenoid.the solenoid on the starter is responsible for moving the gear to the fly wheel.put the tractor in neutral then take a screwdriver and cross the hot post to the small bolts on the solenoid one of them should put it in gear.remember to put it in neutral and better set the brake.

Found out what the problem was. I installed and removed the starter more than 15 times during this problem (Remember I had two starters). I noticed the bolt holes in the starter were oblong, but since the shoulder on the starter acts as a guide, I didn't think too much about the holes. I decided to insert one bolt at a time and try the starter. (Actually a bolt is used on the upper hole and the lower hole goes on a bolt stud.)When I tightened the starter with only the upper bolt, same problem. However, when I tightened the starter using only the nut on the stud, the starter did engage the flywheel. Then I inserted the bolt and everything works fine. The tolerances must be very precise since I could not hit the correct mark during the many installations. Thanks for all the input and I hope this helps someone else. B