broken brake shaft

/ broken brake shaft #1  

nrp0450

Tractor
Kubota M4700
First time poster. Longtime reader.

I have a Kubota M4700 that I hit a hidden stump with (yes, stupid) and snapped off the pivot point for the right side brakes. It's called SHAFT, BRAKE LH and is part number 010 in this diagram: Parts for Kubota M4700

It snapped off almost flush with the engine block so I couldn't back it out with a socket wrench. So I got someone to weld a nut onto it thinking I could back it out that way. We both pushed and pulled on the wrench but couldn't budge it. I don't know if it's just stuck that hard. Or if it's left hand threads. Or if the guy welded the the shaft to the block. (I don't see it if that happened though. It looks like a clean weld to the stump of the shaft.) Does anyone know if it's maybe left hand threads for some reason? Or would you have any other ideas for how to back the broken piece out? Or any other ideas for how to fix it?

/ broken brake shaft
any thoughts?

/ broken brake shaft #3  
I am not familiar with that tractor, but if it were mine, I would order the replacement part and soak that shaft area with a good penetrant (PB Blaster, etc), until the new part arrives. Then a quick look at the new part to determine proper direction and maybe a little heat on the casting around the shaft before cranking on it. Good luck!

/ broken brake shaft
Great idea. Yes, looking at the replacement part might give some ideas. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.

/ broken brake shaft
Just to follow up here. I did what John said and it turned out the part did have left hand threads. With a pipe wrench and some leverage the broken part came out fairly easily. Thanks for the help.

/ broken brake shaft #6  
nrp0450, thanks for the followup. Doesn't always happen. Glad it was solved fairl straightforwardly.