Its ugly... might be a boat anchor... but

/ Its ugly... might be a boat anchor... but #32  
The way that the head seals to the block with the pieces broke out of the top of the cyl. I don't see how you could machine it for a sleeve .
Bill

/ Its ugly... might be a boat anchor... but
The way that the head seals to the block with the pieces broke out of the top of the cyl. I don't see how you could machine it for a sleeve .
Bill

From what little I can deduce...it appears that the oil cooled (this one) took a dry liner... which infers boring the cast cylinder to accept. Obviously that's not an option with the upper part cast cylinder all broke out. Only way I see would be to machine the block to accept a modified wet liner... installed a few thousands high... and then face the top of the block to perfectly match. Question becomes if there is enough support in the lower base part... I think there would be... but the lower portion would be set in a bore made in the lower casting and wet above that. Pretty iffy.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the challenge of it is going to get the best of me... I know the feeling well. I've restored several old hit n miss hunks of rust that no one thought possible... I like making old antique engines comeback to life after 60 or 70 years... get a special smile at first fire. But this 2004 is a bit different and not sure it counts. But the challenge to resurrect it from the dead is still there. If I do though...I think I'll build up a half inch thick guard plate between the pan and the boat's hull... might be wise. Something I'd do on principle anyway, whether its this motor or another. Pan is only a couple inches from the hull. I've heard of boats sinking because a rod went through the pan and the hull.

Good night guys, time for bed. 4:30 am comes pretty early anymore it seems. Later...

/ Its ugly... might be a boat anchor... but #34  
Too bad you don't live around here. You could pick up this Kubota diesel for $800 cash, or probably less and save yourself a whole lot of work with that boat anchor engine you bought. According to the seller, you can hear it run. Hope the mod's don't mind me posting a CL link. If it's not proper, then please delete my post.

kubota diesel engine