So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #11  
I won't say I've never broke an E-Z-Out...

How many could say that they haven't? I think we all learn to pray when it goes in the hole. A broken bolt is always enough of a problem without compounding it. I hate breaking a drill bit. I scream when it's an E-Z-Out, just before I start crying.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #12  
Years ago I quit using spiral screw extractors. Get a set of square type of extractors and you will have a lot more success.

Not myself...twisted it just like the screw extractors...

I tried all 3 types and while none worked great the only one that pulled any of the 8 sheared bolts was the grabbit pro. While not a fan because it only got out 3...it was 3 more than the 2 others could get out.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....
Thanks for the heads up . Now what is your next move to get the broken bolt out???

I've been looking up new cuss words as the old ones are all worn out:laughing:. I'm going to get a dozen bits and burn them up. The bolt is down about 2" in a hole, not up at the edge where you can get at it. The hole is really an expensive rubber isolation mount that I really don't want to torch. Suggestions on better directions are greatly appreciated!

I have never had a good experience with Vermont American tools.

I think I would rather have something from Harbor Freight.

:mad: Now he tells me :laughing: I didn't have any #4 or #5 straight removers and thought a new one would be ok. It was honestly MORE FRAGILE than spun glass! I didn't mention it, but it was my left hand turning the wrench with a straight arm and face up against the fender. Not the position for max effort!

I second the set of left hand drill bits. almost all of the time when I step up in bit size the bit will grab and the bolt will start to back out.

Yeah, I have and used a set of lefties. The issue is my bit sharpener is for right hand bits and I'm pretty skill-free at hand sharpening bits!

How many could say that they haven't? I think we all learn to pray when it goes in the hole. A broken bolt is always enough of a problem without compounding it. I hate breaking a drill bit. I scream when it's an E-Z-Out, just before I start crying.

You must have heard me then, cuz that's exactly what I did. Some not so flattering terms describing the quality control personnel's proclivity to engage in illicit acts with farm animals:ashamed:.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #14  
I would like to know what a TLB is. I suffer with ignorance of a lot of the abbreviations around here.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....
I would like to know what a TLB is. I suffer with ignorance of a lot of the abbreviations around here.

And right now I'd like to NOT know....:laughing:

TLB - Tractor Loader Backhoe

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #17  
Breaking taps off isn't very fun either.

Nope, it isn't...

Most folks I've heard of breaking taps forget to back them out a 1/4 turn for every turn cutting a thread. Backing out, for those who don't know, clears the chips out of the tap.
And not using enough cutting fluid or other lubricant...

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #18  
Don't forget the bolt usually breaks because it was seized, so don't think just cause you get an extractor in there it will just turn out.

Got to apply serious heat, penetrating oil etc.

Sounds like OP just found the broken stud with out trying to loosen it, in that case one could assume it may not be seized.

JB

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #19  
I feel your pain ...

I have recently had a similar experience. I needed to remove a 6" double-groove pulley wheel from a 3/4" shaft. It has a recessed set-screw that takes a hex-key to remove it. The set-screw will not turn. I bent a couple hex-keys trying to get it out.

I applied penetrating solution for a couple weeks before trying to remove it. It still would not budge by hand. I then tried an "impact" hex - it broke off in the set-screw. It will not drill out.

Since the shaft and the gear that is on it are being replace, I torched the shaft and removed the part that way. I still cannot get the pulley wheel off and a new one is nearly $100.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #20  
Since the shaft and the gear that is on it are being replace, I torched the shaft and removed the part that way. I still cannot get the pulley wheel off and a new one is nearly $100.

Can you chop the shaft off short on the back side of the pulley and press it out from that side?

You could also try heating the set screw with a tiny O/A tip and maybe get the broken hex tip out with well directed shock.