Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member

Default So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....

So, I brought a TLB back home from a piece of property and did routine maintenance on it and found a missing bolt. Uh-oh. Got a mirror on a stick and a bright flashlight and found 1/2 of the bolt anyway. Stuck in the hole and in a VERY inconvenient location. Ok, no problem I can handle that. Made some bushings to guide the angle drill. Drilled the bolt in the dead center first 5/32 then up to 1/4 using a left hand bit, hoping it would unscrew. No luck.

I didn't want to take any chances and went to the store to buy a NEW screw extractor from Vermont American pn 21814. That's a #4 extractor that uses a 1/4" pilot hole. As there isn't room to give it a good set with a hammer, I just tapped it down as best I could. The instruction (cartoon) shows using a tap to spin it, but there wasn't room, so a 4" crescent wrench was used. With almost no pressure at all (maybe 15-20 ft-lb) the stupid brand new POS screw extractor snaps like glass. It was so little force, I thought it just slipped out, but no it's broken off at the bottom of a 2" hole flush with the top of the bolt.

Please do not purchase anything from Vermont American. Garbage made in China with obvious lacking quality control of thermal treating.

Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

Default Re: So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....

Thanks for the heads up . Now what is your next move to get the broken bolt out???
    Kubota grand L 3130; 723 loader; Hinged back Box Scraper; 7' HD Back Blade; Tooth Bar; PHD w/ 9 & 12 Inch Auger; PEC; Carryall

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Years ago I quit using spiral screw extractors. Get a set of square type of extractors and you will have a lot more success.

Broken extractors can be taken out by chipping away at them. If possible stick a torch in there and heat things up. Be sure you have a tap that is right for the hole after you get the junk out. \\ Have Fun.
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Yeah Ive had a few of those moments lately. One was a ujoint cap bolt broken off in one of the compacts at work. I couldnt dro the pan there so I had to work through and access hole. Whats funn is puttin the new u joint in as theres no slip joint in that section. Yo0u have to jaclk the front wheels up with the blade and then have some one that can listen roll the wheel.

This week I was putting the elevator hydrostat motor and pumps on one of our scrapers at work. GOt it all flushed, new orings and had the controls adjusted and I was putting a cover on on top to clamp the lines. My helper for some reason ill never know why pulled the top forward flow line off the hydrostat. Up top I dropped a small nut and it fell 6 feet hit the pump housing and bounced 2 times landing in the 1 inch bore. Spent part of the day trying to get it out of a 3500 dollar pump.

I had a worker break a bolt off in a ousing on a truck. Instead of getting me they mauled it pretty good so I have a 45 minute job turn into a 5 hour job lol. Craftsman has a German set of square eze outs for 9 or ten bucks that are nice.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Quote Originally Posted by crash325 View Post
    Years ago I quit using spiral screw extractors. Get a set of square type of extractors and you will have a lot more success.

Broken extractors can be taken out by chipping away at them. If possible stick a torch in there and heat things up. Be sure you have a tap that is right for the hole after you get the junk out. \\ Have Fun.
    I was gonna say the opposite, I've had better luck with the twisted type and have broken the square type, especially the smaller ones.

That is a pretty small piece of hardened steel, They recommend the T handle so you apply even pressure. the crescent wrench probably torque it the wrong way, it wouldn't take much to break a cheap piece of china crap.

Good luck, not sure what to recommend with such limited access.

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Kubota B-7800

It pays to have a set of left handed twist drill on hand.

Oftentimes, the heat and vibration set up by drilling will power a broken bolt right out without resorting to EZ outs... But, if it doesn't work, you still have a pilot hole for your EZ out..

Use the largest diameter EZ out the broken piece can handle, and use a quality tool..

Homemade carbide spade drills, and the knowledge to make them from round carbide blanks is also invaluable.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

I have never had a good experience with Vermont American tools.

I think I would rather have something from Harbor Freight.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

There might be a reason good tools cost.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kubota L4240

I second the set of left hand drill bits. almost all of the time when I step up in bit size the bit will grab and the bolt will start to back out.
    Kubota L4240 HST+ R-4's,

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

I like the LH spiral type E-Z-Outs for smaller threads (up to 3/8th's, maybe 7/16th's). The ones with the tight spiral...haven't had much luck with them. The E-Z-Outs that look like LH tapered drill bits have worked better for me.
    I use a crescent wrench and tap on the head of the E-Z-Out as I'm turning the fastener out...works for me. Another suggestion is make sure you drill the hole deep enough to get a good bite with the E-Z-Out before you try to extract the screw or bolt.
    I won't say I've never broke an E-Z-Out, but my luck has been pretty good.

I also second BlacknTan's suggestions...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast