So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight....

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #1  

Ford tractor

Platinum Member
So, I brought a TLB back home from a piece of property and did routine maintenance on it and found a missing bolt. Uh-oh. Got a mirror on a stick and a bright flashlight and found 1/2 of the bolt anyway. Stuck in the hole and in a VERY inconvenient location. Ok, no problem I can handle that. Made some bushings to guide the angle drill. Drilled the bolt in the dead center first 5/32 then up to 1/4 using a left hand bit, hoping it would unscrew. No luck.

I didn't want to take any chances and went to the store to buy a NEW screw extractor from Vermont American pn 21814. That's a #4 extractor that uses a 1/4" pilot hole. As there isn't room to give it a good set with a hammer, I just tapped it down as best I could. The instruction (cartoon) shows using a tap to spin it, but there wasn't room, so a 4" crescent wrench was used. With almost no pressure at all (maybe 15-20 ft-lb) the stupid brand new POS screw extractor snaps like glass. It was so little force, I thought it just slipped out, but no it's broken off at the bottom of a 2" hole flush with the top of the bolt.

Please do not purchase anything from Vermont American. Garbage made in China with obvious lacking quality control of thermal treating.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #2  
Thanks for the heads up . Now what is your next move to get the broken bolt out???

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #3  
Years ago I quit using spiral screw extractors. Get a set of square type of extractors and you will have a lot more success.

Broken extractors can be taken out by chipping away at them. If possible stick a torch in there and heat things up. Be sure you have a tap that is right for the hole after you get the junk out. \\ Have Fun.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #4  
Yeah Ive had a few of those moments lately. One was a ujoint cap bolt broken off in one of the compacts at work. I couldnt dro the pan there so I had to work through and access hole. Whats funn is puttin the new u joint in as theres no slip joint in that section. Yo0u have to jaclk the front wheels up with the blade and then have some one that can listen roll the wheel.

This week I was putting the elevator hydrostat motor and pumps on one of our scrapers at work. GOt it all flushed, new orings and had the controls adjusted and I was putting a cover on on top to clamp the lines. My helper for some reason ill never know why pulled the top forward flow line off the hydrostat. Up top I dropped a small nut and it fell 6 feet hit the pump housing and bounced 2 times landing in the 1 inch bore. Spent part of the day trying to get it out of a 3500 dollar pump.

I had a worker break a bolt off in a ousing on a truck. Instead of getting me they mauled it pretty good so I have a 45 minute job turn into a 5 hour job lol. Craftsman has a German set of square eze outs for 9 or ten bucks that are nice.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #5  
Years ago I quit using spiral screw extractors. Get a set of square type of extractors and you will have a lot more success.

Broken extractors can be taken out by chipping away at them. If possible stick a torch in there and heat things up. Be sure you have a tap that is right for the hole after you get the junk out. \\ Have Fun.

I was gonna say the opposite, I've had better luck with the twisted type and have broken the square type, especially the smaller ones.

That is a pretty small piece of hardened steel, They recommend the T handle so you apply even pressure. the crescent wrench probably torque it the wrong way, it wouldn't take much to break a cheap piece of china crap.

Good luck, not sure what to recommend with such limited access.

JB.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #6  
It pays to have a set of left handed twist drill on hand.

Oftentimes, the heat and vibration set up by drilling will power a broken bolt right out without resorting to EZ outs... But, if it doesn't work, you still have a pilot hole for your EZ out..

Use the largest diameter EZ out the broken piece can handle, and use a quality tool..

Homemade carbide spade drills, and the knowledge to make them from round carbide blanks is also invaluable.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #7  
I have never had a good experience with Vermont American tools.

I think I would rather have something from Harbor Freight.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #8  
There might be a reason good tools cost.:)

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #9  
I second the set of left hand drill bits. almost all of the time when I step up in bit size the bit will grab and the bolt will start to back out.

/ So P.O.'ed I can't even see straight.... #10  
I like the LH spiral type E-Z-Outs for smaller threads (up to 3/8th's, maybe 7/16th's). The ones with the tight spiral...haven't had much luck with them. The E-Z-Outs that look like LH tapered drill bits have worked better for me.
I use a crescent wrench and tap on the head of the E-Z-Out as I'm turning the fastener out...works for me. Another suggestion is make sure you drill the hole deep enough to get a good bite with the E-Z-Out before you try to extract the screw or bolt.
I won't say I've never broke an E-Z-Out, but my luck has been pretty good.

I also second BlacknTan's suggestions...