Case 895 losing power and overheating

/ Case 895 losing power and overheating #1  

IanCross

Tractor
Case 895
I used our Case 895 to mow about 20acres the other day, and thought it was 'running hot', though a bit off going into the red. My brother then shook out and the rowed up with it over the next few days with it. He said it had overheated a little (boiled over) he'd topped it up with water, also it appeared to be underpowered. I used it later to cart bales, it was runnning at the correct heat, though did seem a little under powered to me. My list of jobs are to; service (replace all filters, previously done about 18 months ago), check fan, belt, clean radiator, check oil for evidence of water, and check water for evidence of oil. The tractor hasn't done what i call much work, J reg (92') and it's done 2600 genuine hours. Anyone any suggestions please? If I find oily water, or watery oil what would this indicate (gasket or head gone???). Thanks Ian

/ Case 895 losing power and overheating #2  
First place I would focus on is cooling system. Are the radiator fins clean? Could be the thermostat is not opening the way it should. I would remove thermostat and see if makes a difference in the temp. Look inside the radiator and see if the passages are clogged with minerals. With the thermostat out and the cap off be sure coolant is circulating thru the radiator. I have seen old rad. hoses collapse or a loose fan belt cause poor circulation and overheating. Could be time for a good flush or pull the radiator to be rodded out. Is the power loss only when the engine gets hot? Being in the hay field I would take a look at the air filter and replace it.

/ Case 895 losing power and overheating
Thanks for the advice, i'll do the service, and check the rad/fan etc as you suggest. Might be a week or two but i'll update. Ta

/ Case 895 losing power and overheating
Sorry i've been over twelve months in replying.... I serviced (air, oil & fuel filters), new oil, new water (with antifreeze/coolant)... nothing sus with oil or water. Then as you say focus on the cooling system.... removed bonnet, rad appears to be bolted to an oil cooler???? with a few inch gap in between, then fan behind both frawing air through. Radiator had more hay in that most of the barn, gap between the oil cooler(??) and rad was like an old mattres! Cleaned out, blown out fins etc. All appears to be running right since. Thanks for advice Frank. Ta Ian