ford 4500 brakes?????

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #1  

Burrell

Tractor
farmall super c, 9n ford, allis chamers b, kubota L 3300, ford 4500 backhoe
I have a ford 4500 work horse tough old tractor and I'm not a ford man. I've got four more that I would like to bury maybe make one a head stone. My question is on the 4500 ford Loader/backhoe what's exactly involved on changing the rear brake pads/disk/ not shour I've heard that they aren't wet and then i've heard they are. my 4500 brakes they are raising cain did I say they were rasing cain. I use this tractor religiosly it's the only woking thing around here other than me. I really don't won't to do any damage that I can prevent but staying of it about impossible. I am a mechanic by trade when I pull the wheels what do I need to expect. New one on me. thanks for any info

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #2  
Here is an exploded view of your 4500's brake system.

You can find the same picture at New Holland. New Holland

Put your cursor on New Holland Construction at the left, then slide down to "english" in the column at far left bottom, and click on it. This will take you to NH North America.

On the next page that appears, there will be a white box at the top left to enter your model number. Select search, and a list of sections of your tractor will appear.

Select which one you want, and click. An exploded view of it will appear. Below is the part descriptions, with part numbers.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• 4500 Brakes.gif
    4500 Brakes.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 7,340
   / ford 4500 brakes????? #3  
I worked at a Ford dealer for over 15 years and yes they are wet brakes. They were also prone to making some really bad groans and noises if the hydraulic oil was not one they liked. At one time Ford sold a two quart bottle of what they called then "Anti-chatter Additive" to stop this. This only applies if you're still stopping good, just with noise. I don't know if they still sell it, but it's worth a try.

/ ford 4500 brakes?????
Thank's for the info. I'm going to tackle that project as soon as I get this old farmall back together so I can move it out of my way. thank's again

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #5  
what you using for utf?

/ ford 4500 brakes?????
Just a regular hydraulic/tranny fluid that's what they told me to put in it at the tractor repair place said to run it in the rearend & transmission after I changed the fluid in the rear seams like the brakes got alot louder.

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #7  
what specs did this 'regular hydraulic/tranny fluid' meet?

did they meet the ford spec M2C134D spec?

soundguy

/ ford 4500 brakes?????
I'm really not shour. All I know it's mobil brand hyd/trans fluid. My dad was getting it in five gallon buckets from some guy that was pumping it out of fifty five gallon drums. I believe pop was telling me he serviced heavy equipment up and down the east coast but not shour what kind.

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #9  
it's -probably- ok if a utf fluid.. but I hope it's not a plain hyd oil.

soundguy

/ ford 4500 brakes????? #10  
I'd be lookiing at the adjusters on the brake linkage. If the adjustment isn't all used up, I think I'd try some anti-chatter additive or draining the oil and using a decent quality UTF meeting MC134D specification. For all you know, whatever passes for oil in that sump may be 100% of the problem.

I won't say that nobody ever replaced the brakes on a 4000/4500, but I'll wager there are a lot more of them stopping with original brake parts than not.