GST shift assembly leaking

/ GST shift assembly leaking #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
Okay, I've had something leaking hydraulic fluid for a while now, but it's getting worse and I'm ready to get it fixed now. Tractor is operating fine, but I'm tired of the mess on the floor of my barn.

Looking at the parts diagram, the cable shift assembly is all one part and it's expensive! $414.65!!

kubota_leak.png

I drew an arrow to where it seems to be leaking. I don't think there is any hydraulic fluid in the cable itself though, and even though the hydraulic fluid is dripping off the bottom of the cable, it must be coming from from where it attached to the shift assembly, so I'm leaning toward the fact that the gasket (part 040) is all that needs replaced.

Will I need to drain all my hydraulic fluid out to do this? If so do I just put up with the leak until the next hydraulic fluid change and do it then? I've gone about 200 hours since I changed my hydraulic fluid so I've still got 100 hours based on the maintenance schedule.

I have a shop manual and I'll go over everything before I get started, but just thought I would post here to see if anyone has done this and can give me a heads up.

Thanks, Nathan

/ GST shift assembly leaking #2  
I don't know anything about the source of your leak, but if you are going to remove the cap and replace the gasket, you might try the old shop vac in the fill pipe trick to keep the hydraulic fluid from leaking out. Put your vacuum hose into the hydaulic fill pipe and turn it on. This should keep most of the fluid from leaking out when you remove the cover. Never tried it in that particular location, but it works elsewhere

/ GST shift assembly leaking #3  
Judging by the photo............it looks like it's prety high on the tranny..........chances of fluid loss is slim.

I would change it whenever I had time.