Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting?

/ Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting? #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
I have an old snowblower that works fine but is extremely ugly and rusted.

I talked to a local sandblasting shop and the guy said he could blast it with aluminum oxide but I might want to take it apart first so that things like bearings don't get media in them. Or he said I could tape them to protect them.

Well I took a few parts off but I can't get the auger disconnected from the box. I took the bolts out of a flange that holds the bearing to the box. There are two flanges on the outside of the box. I got the outer flange off, but the inner doesn't come off easily and I don't want to break it. It appears that the flanges may be curved along the outside of the bearing so as to keep it from moving side to side?

I could use some advice about this, in either how to dismantle it or even whether I should or not. Maybe I should put the flanges back on and have him blast it in place?

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• IMAG0998.jpg
    IMAG0998.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMAG0997.jpg
    IMAG0997.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0999.jpg
    IMAG0999.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0996.jpg
    IMAG0996.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 282
   / Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting? #2  
The bearing is barrel shaped like you think it is. the bearing has to come off the shaft, the collar in the 2nd pic has one hole with a set screw in it and a second hole that has nothing in it. the collar has an eccentric machined on the inside that fits a matching eccentric on the bearing and locks the bearing to the shaft. You have to remove the set screw, hit the collar with a punch to rotate it and release the bearing from the shaft. With as rusty as that thing is you are have a hard time getting it apart most likely (Might have to torch the bearing/ collar off)

I would take the bearing off because if you don't the bearing will probably be ruined by sandblasting and you will be taking it apart anyways.

/ Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting?
Thanks Scrappy Isby67. I thought it was barrel shaped.

And I did take the set screw out and noticed the second hole with no set screw. OK, I'll give a wack with a punch and see if the collar turns loose. Does it matter which way I try to turn the collar?

Edit:

I wacked the collar and it's loose now on the left side. I have to get a longer "allen" wrench to reach the set screw on the right side where the chain and sprocket are.

So after I loosen the ride side collar, how do I get the bearings off the auger axle? Do I hit the axle to try to push it through?

I could use some more advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting? #4  
you can try to tap the axle thru but don't whale on it, if you mushroom the shaft you are going to have extra work to file/grind the shaft down so you can get the bearing off. something else you can try (at least to see if it is not frozen on the shaft) is find a socket that will fit over the shaft and try to drive the bearing on a little further. if it won't move either way you are going to have to get a gear puller and pull it that way(you can rent one @ the autoparts stores have them for rent.(I know O'reilly's does)
also if you are going to go thru the trouble of pulling it apart, might as well put new bearings in it.

Thanks again. Good suggestions.

I got the bearings off and pulled the auger out. I bought a puller for $12 and had to apply heat to one bearing.

Thanks again for your help!

/ Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting? #7  
Nice job, you had a little more luck than I did taking apart an old rototiller that I bought for cheap. It was in similar looking shape, and is very similarly constructed, though the chain is outside the side wall and in a separate housing. On one side I had to cut the bearing/eccentric ring off (allan head would come out for starters), but that bearing was toast anyway.

Please post pics after your rebuild. I'm becoming addicted to bringing new life to old things.

/ Taking Apart a Snowblower before Sandblasting? #8  
Those bearings are cheap enough that replacement is a no brainier anyway.
Same for the chain.
Be ready to prime paint the same day that you sand blast as rust is virtually immediate on fresh sand blasted surfaces.
I did my blower 7 yrs ago, used tremclad paint over tremclad primer.
It has lasted very well, however I do touch up every spring just to prevent rust.
Good luck, have fun.

Thanks guys. I'll post some before and after pics. I have the chute off and will work on getting the fan off tomorrow.

I plan on replacing the bearings now that I have 2 off.

The guy at the blasting shop said they could spray primer for an additional fee but I don't know how much yet.

I wasn't really thinking of this as rebuilding when I started, just painting...but I suppose it will be close to that.

This blower is a conversion from a front mount to a 3ph rear mount, with a lot off welding done in the conversion. So it will have its limits of how good it can look. But I'll give it a shot.

Well, I couldn't get the fan/impeller off. I tried a gear puller but it wouldn't budge. Oh well, leaving it on for the blasting/painting is better than breaking it.

Question:

I sprayed some areas with penetrating lubricant to aid in removing bearings etc. Do I need to degrease these areas before taking it to the blaster? I am going to have him spray it with primer after he blasts it. Or will the blasting take care of it all? Thanks.