Painting the tractor suggestions.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #11  
Just curious; Does anyone use clear coat over the paint, or just paint and wax it later?:confused:

What!?!?! No. I go get it dirty and scratch it up.

Keep scratching it often enough in the same place and you won't have to worry about rust.

I don't paint stuff to pretty it up so much as to keep the places that don't get scratched on a regular basis from rusting and taking the rest of the machine or tool with them.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #13  
no clear coat for me.. Once cured, I do wax it.

soundguy

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #14  
Clear coat is for aesthetics and is generally reserved for barn queens. You can get the same durability with almost any two part paint.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #16  
makes the water bead off it better.. uh.. and bugs don't stick as much.. that's my story.. and I'm sticking to it!

:)

soundguy

/ Painting the tractor suggestions.
My biggest wonder is oilbased paint going to be better against salt and such then the enamel? snow blower needs a bit of work now to....

Ug im gettin old... tottaly missed
Valspar said:
Don't forget Valspar Oil Base Metal Primer for increased durability.

when i was at tsc thought they had tractor/impliment primer and then a seperate oil based primer on the other side... oh well...

Deere Dude said:
Just curious; Does anyone use clear coat over the paint, or just paint and wax it later?
From what I read valspar is not compatible with a clear coat. also from what I was reading else where enamle != oil paints like valspar except on their restoration? line. which is part of the reason I was asking here

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #18  
makes the water bead off it better.. uh.. and bugs don't stick as much.. that's my story.. and I'm sticking to it!

:)

soundguy

Actually, I think there might be qualitative environmental differences between Florida and coastal Washington State. I popped a bucket hyd line the first week I had my new tractor. After that, the water beaded up for a few days. Then the dirt stuck really solid. I cleaned my glasses and called it good. I've tried 16th gear at full throttle, but I can't get the bugs to stick at all.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #19  
i had a hyd line bust on a loader on my 1954 ford naa.. put about 3 gallons of fluid on me and the tractor in about 1/3rd a second.. that was 2-3 ys ago.

tractor still won't rust, and has wet looking areas in crevises of the engine.. and my dry skin problem sure cleared up for about a week.. shirt and pants iw as wearing made good rags for cleaning tools.. :)

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #20  
Luckily enough my MF 135 and 2004 Ram are pretty close in color, so when I had a little base / clear left I took the skins off and sprayed them. I've been spraying vehicles on and off since my father started paying me $5 a car to wet sand and tape for him to spray. Painted my tractor two years ago, it is used in the woods, in manure piles and snow removal. Has chains rattled and branches brushed against the skins regularly, although expensive clear coat is hard to beat for durability.

Attachments

• MF 135 011.jpg
    MF 135 011.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 144