Painting the tractor suggestions.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #21  
I will probably get a bout of insanity eventually and pressure wash the tractor. One thing I do is clean it with compressed air pretty often to get the sawdust and wood chips off of it, along with grass clippings. Blowing out the places where stuff hangs up takes away corrosion potentials. I hose down the bucket when it's muddy too. But since I'm not going to be entering it in any tractor shows, waxing is still out.

BTW, Mike, I have to admit that's a pretty MF. (Can we say, "MF" here?)

/ Painting the tractor suggestions.
I might clearcoat the vehicles around the farm but not impliments. we shal see tomorow? how i can paint heheh. hope to finish the tires on the van and posibly some welding. tomorow i hope to finish all impliment fab so i can paint itl. then on to see about rust removal on the car and with luck sheat metal welding :)

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #24  
Can you use the Valspar restoration series paint on the motor of the tractor or does it too hot ?

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #25  
works fine on all but the hot part of the manifold. will stay on the cool side..

soundguy

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #26  
WAX? What is this "wax" you speak of?

I use it all the time on my tractors. Melt it into the threads of real hot bolts / nuts that are stuck. Works like penetrating oil on steroids. Is there some other "wax" used on tractors?;)

For working machines I like to use industrial imron or equivalent from other brands. Tough stuff. Doesn't look like a show / parade queen so if that's your objective, I ain't your guy for advice!

Oh, if you use hardener, you NEED a supplied air respirator. The hardener will coat the inside of your lungs and decrease the ability to pass oxygen to the blood. Effects are cumulative and essentially non-reversible. That "tough" coating is just as tough in you as on the outside of the machine. And contrary to what some un-informed people may tell you -- carbon filters WON'T take that stuff out.

/ Painting the tractor suggestions. #27  
Oh, if you use hardener, you NEED a supplied air respirator. The hardener will coat the inside of your lungs and decrease the ability to pass oxygen to the blood. Effects are cumulative and essentially non-reversible. That "tough" coating is just as tough in you as on the outside of the machine. And contrary to what some un-informed people may tell you -- carbon filters WON'T take that stuff out.

that's a huge over simplification, to the point of nearly being wrong even.

while there is no presently supplied cartridge that is 'rated' to filter isocyanates, the actual particulate portion of the vapor will for sure be grabbed by the multi stage respirators.. that leaves the iso gasses.

at that point it's not a coating issue.. it's a concentration / sensitivity issue.

if you are sensitive.. it's a problem. I know guys that have walked around a freshly painted tractor and had bad reactions from the outgassing of the curing hardner. no more vapor in the air.. purely voc's boiling off got them.

if you aren't sensitive.. well.. you aren't. on the flip side.. I know guys that paint with only a vapor and particulate filter and have done so for 40-50 ys.. some people just aren't bothered by it.

kinda like the people that smoke for 80ys and never get sick, then others never smoke and die of lung cancer from limited 2nd hand exposure.

I usually get a high end cartridge rated for hydrogen sulfide, that.. or a NBC rated cartridge from govt surplus.. I'm pretty sure it's hard to beat a current spec NBC cartridge.. :)

I'll also add that I'm apparrently one of those people not sensitive to isocyanate compounds. I've been using them 15 ys and neary a reaction.. first couple years I wore a n95 mask... ;)

soundguy