Broken grease fitting

/ Broken grease fitting #1  

dmoerman

Tractor
Kioti 3054
There are three spindles on my mower deck, each fitted with a grease fitting on the top. One of them has snapped off just at the level of the metal top of the spindle. I believe they are 1/4 inch spindles, that is, pretty tiny. How can I remove the broken spindle so I can replace it with a new one. Any suggestions?

dan

/ Broken grease fitting #2  
Spindle or zerk (grease fitting)? Last zerk I had break (a M6), I backed out using the small (eyeglass?) flat blade driver on my leatherman. Just inserted it & turned counter clockwise...

Nick

/ Broken grease fitting #4  
They make small easy outs. Just DO NOT BUY Vermont American. I just spent 25+hours and well over $100 to get one out that broke (the ezout). The Vermont American product is junk. The steel is hardened to the point that it is fragile as spun moonbeams.

/ Broken grease fitting #5  
there is a grease fitting 4 way tool that has a chase, fluted extractor and 2 wrench ends.. find the one fitting your sizes and use.. this is for threaded zerks.. if yours is a press in, you will need to use a center punch and crush in the sleave in the spindle and dig out with a pair of needle nose or a pic, then drve a new one in.. may be necescarry to stake the new one in useing the center punch.. etc.

soundguy

/ Broken grease fitting #6  
I have used the handle of a chainsaw file to remove broken grease fittings for many years. Just tap in in gently and turn them out.

/ Broken grease fitting #8  
I have used the handle of a chainsaw file to remove broken grease fittings for many years. Just tap in in gently and turn them out.

if the spindle is still in, he may have a hard time getting that tapered square profile in deep enough to bite. a set of square profile extractors from napa or similar may work, as he can use a large size that won't go past the end of the fitting.. small screwdriver may work too.. hamemr in and turn out.. etc.

soundguy

/ Broken grease fitting
Tried several of these suggestions. But the hole in the zerk is actually larger than I had imagined. This morning, I slipped an 1/8" drill bit in the hole. So, I need a larger eze out, or file, or whatever. I'll get the bugger. dan

/ Broken grease fitting #10  
get a set of lefty drill bits, again, if it is a thread in type and not a screw in. the lefty will bite nto it and unscre it, and not have to go past the surface of the zerk.

china tool store has a lefty bit set for like 5$ good to have to extract broken threaded fasteners / fittings.

soundguy