Massey Ferguson Steering

/ Massey Ferguson Steering #1  

JPcattleco

Tractor
Massey 165
After replacing the steering spline on our MF 165, we cannot get the steering set where it turns smoothly both directions. I know there is some type of adjustment on the turnbubckle behind the grill, but need a little guidance on how the adjustment works.

/ Massey Ferguson Steering #2  
It has been nearly 50 years, but I recall a tapered pin that goes through a hole in one steering arm and then immediately into a tapered hole on an adjoining arm, all just in front of the radiator. Loosen the lock nut on the threaded end of the pin and then screw the pin in or out to adjust the slackness of the tapered pin in the tapered hole. There has to be some lost motion between the two arms to let the hydraulic valve move and actuate the power steering cylinder.

Let me know if my memory is any good.

/ Massey Ferguson Steering
Your memory is correct, but I have adjusted

/ Massey Ferguson Steering
Your memory is correct, but I have adjusted the arm back and forth both directions. There seems to be no happy medium. The steering will spin easily to the right or left, but neither at the same time.

/ Massey Ferguson Steering #5  
G'day as you have found they can be a real pain to get right :mad:, to start you have to make sure you have got NO slop in the pins of the turnbuckle if you have then you need to replace ( sparex does a kit ) or you need to build up pins/eyes. When you have got these nice and snug you just need to keep adjusting til you get it VERY small adjustment at a time 1/6 of a turn can be too much:confused2:. It sounds like you have the top adjuster about right as you can get steering one way or the other, you just need to work on the turnbuckle. What else can i say but GOOD LUCK it just takes a bit of patience.

Jon