New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved

/ New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
So, this thread started as me posting to ask for some help troubleshooting a problem with the spark on my new to me Case 444 tractor. I ended up finding the problem with the spark, but I figured I'd post anyway just to show off my new toy and warn everyone that there will likely be other questions as I gradually fix this tractor up.

The spark ended up being a switch issue. When I jumpered a hot wire from the battery positive to the coil, I got spark and got life out of the engine.

I bought the tractor in not-running condition for a lot less that I think it's worth. I told the guy the tractor is worth more than what I could spend, but he needed the money and took what I had. I was told the tractor needs carburetor work. There are a lot of other little things on it that will need some attention, but the basic tractor seems to be in good shape. The sheet metal is all straight. The motor seems solid. The tires are holding air.

I found a parts manual download for it online. I'll keep looking for a owners manual and a shop manual.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 312
   / New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved #2  
So, this thread started as me posting to ask for some help troubleshooting a problem with the spark on my new to me Case 444 tractor. I ended up finding the problem with the spark, but I figured I'd post anyway just to show off my new toy and warn everyone that there will likely be other questions as I gradually fix this tractor up.

The spark ended up being a switch issue. When I jumpered a hot wire from the battery positive to the coil, I got spark and got life out of the engine.

I bought the tractor in not-running condition for a lot less that I think it's worth. I told the guy the tractor is worth more than what I could spend, but he needed the money and took what I had. I was told the tractor needs carburetor work. There are a lot of other little things on it that will need some attention, but the basic tractor seems to be in good shape. The sheet metal is all straight. The motor seems solid. The tires are holding air.

I found a parts manual download for it online. I'll keep looking for a owners manual and a shop manual.

This looks very much like the kind of deal I made this spring on a Craftsman/Roper. Not running, but good to go once I traced the issues. Mine worked for me most of the summer but for the winter snowblowing I'll have to do some work on the starter and fuel pump.

That blade looks like it has "yielded" to the power that tractor can deliver.:thumbsup::laughing: Good luck! Good deal! Those units are pretty pricey around here.

/ New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved
...That blade looks like it has "yielded" to the power that tractor can deliver.:thumbsup::laughing:

Yeah. That blade's days are numbered. I'm not sure whether to re-build it or scrap it and start over. Anyone who has thought of building a snow blade without trip springs, let this serve as a warning to you.

/ New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved #4  
Nice machine! My buddy just bought one identical to that last week (his is 1984) - fully restored except the Kohler needs valve guides done. His was professionally restored, mower deck and snowblower - I think he paid around $2600. I have always wanted one, but I will wait for a 446 or 448 :thumbsup:

IMG00425-20111004-1737.jpg

/ New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved
Nice machine! My buddy just bought one identical to that last week (his is 1984) - fully restored except the Kohler needs valve guides done. His was professionally restored, mower deck and snowblower - I think he paid around $2600. I have always wanted one, but I will wait for a 446 or 448 :thumbsup:

View attachment 233454

That one is NICE. Now I have my feelers out for a snowblower for mine.

...I suppose I should probably get it running first.

/ New Toy, No Spark. Problem Solved #6  

View attachment 233454

That looks too pretty to get it dirty!:laughing::laughing: