convert to modern efi and ignition

/ convert to modern efi and ignition
You weren't kiddin about going all the way for it? What did you spend so far. those coils were pretty expensive weren't they?

The coils are not cheap brand new, but I got them used at the pick-n-pull for $11 each.

I already had a 70's Ford distributor and module, so I only needed to buy one more, which I bought new.

$44 2003 Dodge Coils from junkyard
$30 1970 Dodge Distributor from junkyard
$10 1976 Ford reluctor/rotor
$25 1976 Ford stator/pickup
$35 1976 Ford Ignitor/Module
$10 Wiring

$154

If one wanted to keep the plug wires and distributor cap and rotor,
one could have just modified the distributor with a 70's Dodge electronic ignition instead of the Ford, and removed 4 of the reluctor triggers,
and use only 4 of the distributor cap plug wires. As far as I could tell from the one I pulled, the Dodge electronic ignition distributors did not have the mechanical advance like the older points with vaccum advance.

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #12  
Very nice, if I ever needed anything fabed up, you can come over to my house and help.

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #13  
You did it my way, with used parts. I knew those coils were pricy, the reason I asked about them. The Pick& pull price was good, wish we had one of those close to here?

You did it my way, with used parts. I knew those coils were pricy, the reason I asked about them. The Pick& pull price was good, wish we had one of those close to here?

You can buy them on ebay at similiar discounts.

I could have eliminated the ford parts and used my own hardware, but I wanted the next owner to be able to replace anything without much trouble.

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #15  
you can buy the elctronic dist set from a company called petronixs i think i'm close on the spelling. they are the largest company that make conversion dist kits have used several over the years and if you follow instructions they work great and solve all the points gap and adjustment problems.

Here is the update on this project.

I went ahead and eliminated the distributor altogether,
and made a crank sensor on my lathe that bolts between the crank pulley,
and the PTO shaft. It has 7 little Neo magnets that are epoxied into the disk,
then I used a $2 hall-effect sensor that I put into a carbon tube and filled with epoxy so its waterproof, then added a stud to it so I could adjust the mounting.

The Duraspark modules were replaced with an ignitor from a 1.8L VW, in which I used just two coil controls. I used one of my surplus microprocessors,
and it does the spark advance and dwell control.
Here is the video of the tractor running (quite well now!) using the setup.
That popping sound is from the choke being pretty much fully closed.

COP 4 running tractor - YouTube

Next is to convert it to EFI as well.
I will also use an electronic throttle control to eliminate the mechanical governer, so I can adjust the governer RPM to keep it at any RPM.

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #17  
Here is the update on this project.

I went ahead and eliminated the distributor altogether,
and made a crank sensor on my lathe that bolts between the crank pulley,
and the PTO shaft. It has 7 little Neo magnets that are epoxied into the disk,
then I used a $2 hall-effect sensor that I put into a carbon tube and filled with epoxy so its waterproof, then added a stud to it so I could adjust the mounting.

The Duraspark modules were replaced with an ignitor from a 1.8L VW, in which I used just two coil controls. I used one of my surplus microprocessors,
and it does the spark advance and dwell control.
Here is the video of the tractor running (quite well now!) using the setup.
That popping sound is from the choke being pretty much fully closed.

COP 4 running tractor - YouTube

Next is to convert it to EFI as well.
I will also use an electronic throttle control to eliminate the mechanical governer, so I can adjust the governer RPM to keep it at any RPM.

Well done!

Here it is, my Case 530 converted to use EFI and electronically controlled throttle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44V0tRBtk6I]Tractor running on MSP430 EFI - YouTube[/ame]

I'm just wondering if this is the only tractor in the world in which this modification has been done????? :D

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #19  
Here it is, my Case 530 converted to use EFI and electronically controlled throttle.

Tractor running on MSP430 EFI - YouTube

I'm just wondering if this is the only tractor in the world in which this modification has been done????? :D

Well done! You continue to amaze me with your ingenuity! I'd imagine it is the only tractor in the world to have EFI. I was in the aircraft propulsion business and I remember when we went to FADEC (Full Authority Digital Electronic Controls) to control the engine in the '80's and what a difference it meant to performance and control.Looks like you're part way there with this system. What's next?

Why does it sound so rough?

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #20  
Excellent work there.

Made up a Megasquirt system a few years back on one of our cars.
Very interesting project.

200hp, Turbocharged, EFI, Nitrous, Ferguson35 anyone? :cool: