convert to modern efi and ignition

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #1  

nimblemotors

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 530 CK Sold, Ford Ranger DIY Project
so I just replaced the points on my Case 530, and the distributor shaft is pretty well shot, not to mention the carb throttle shaft is also sloppy loose.
And so it makes me wonder if there is a way to update the engine with modern electronics without spending months doing it.

Has anyone done such a thing?

I'd think a throttle body injection wouldn't be too hard a conversion.
I have a Geo Metro 3-cyl and the fuel injection is rather simple, just needs the O2, temp sensors added, and the injector mounted for the tractor motor.

Jack

/ convert to modern efi and ignition
So I guess not, cuz if someone did, you know they would be proud of it. :) Updating just the ignition to eliminate the points would be pretty easy,
assuming you have a good distributor. Not sure I want to modify the original.
I have a electronic ignition from a 78 302, I could modify it to fit the 158 instead.

It looks like I could do a coil-on-plug setup with off the shelf parts for $200,
even less if I use my own microprocessor instead of OEM, to get the timing advance instead of the mechanical setup.

I would do it if I plan to keep this backhoe, but I will sell it when my house is done, and I suspect a buyer would prefer it has the original points, don't you think? or would they appreciate an upgraded ignition?

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #3  
I would go with oem replacements, while the ignition would be somewhat straight forward, EFI requires much more money and modifications, from an upgraded fuel pump to a air management system...I doubt any prospective buyer would view it as a plus.

The bushings for the distributor are no longer available from case,
so it looks like I'd have to make my own if I go that route.
But having dismantled the distributer, it looks like the mechanical advance is in poor shape, the springs are shot, and the slots are worn, so it tends to get stuck with the timing advanced.
So at minimum I think I need to find another distributor to make fit into this motor. The 302 Ford I happen to have spins counter clockwise, so the advance is the wrong way. A chevy v8 seems to tall and skinny.
Any suggestions?

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #5  
If it is a Delco distributer, I can't believe that there aren't bushings, springs and weights available for it. Maybe not from CNH, but I'll bet they are out there. I got Delco brushes & springs for a generator on an Oliver 660 from an eBay seller (outside of eBay; direct to his store) IIRC he is in Ohio ar a neighboring state.

Unfortunately, the distributor is not a Delco, but an AutoLight.
I've decided to pretty much an electronic ignition setup for it.
It also has a 6-volt coil on it that was wrong, so that needed replacement as well. Amazing this thing ran at all.

A '70 Dodge V8 distributor I picked up at the pick-n-pull has the proper clockwise rotation, mechanical advance, and the same size shaft to fit the 159 camshaft gear. My biggest problem is how to drill the rollpin hole in the shaft, the shaft is hardened steel. I don't want to modify the gear, since a future owner might want to put all the old stuff back in... :)

I also picked up 4 coil-on-plug coils, so I'm going to go ahead with a full electronic setup, use a pair of ford ignitors, which I like because they have a 6-degree ****** when starting, and put in two of the inductor switches into the distributer to fire the 1-4 and 2-3 plugs. So no plug wires or distributor cap or rotor or points, a no maintainance ignition with a lot more firepower,
no more .025 plug gaps, we'll go .060 now.
I'll have pictures later if anyone wants to see.
Jack

Delco Distributor Bushings - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

Info in this YT thread indicates wide commonality with Delco distributers. May be helpful if correct. I poked around eBay for the seller I did business with and didn't see anything familiar.

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #8  
We'll definitely want to see! Best of luck with the conversion.
Jim

We'll definitely want to see! Best of luck with the conversion.
Jim

I'm just about finished, need the final wiring hooked up, but here is the money shot..

imag0835.jpg

Those are 2000 Dodge 2.7L coils.
1970 Dodge V8 distributor, vaccum advanced removed, the 159 distributor gear attached to the shaft, the housing turned down a big to fit further inside the hole.

imag0837.jpg

Two 70's Ford Electronic Ignition pickups triggered with a wheel that was modified
to have 4 triggers, two above for 1-4, and two below for 3-2.
These connect to two 70's Ford ignition modules that operate the coils.

imag0828.jpg

/ convert to modern efi and ignition #10  
You weren't kiddin about going all the way for it? What did you spend so far. those coils were pretty expensive weren't they?