Using an easy out / bolt extractor

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Due to a design flaw I replace abou 6 5/8 bolts a year on my mower. These bolts hold the mower blades on.

My question is on proper use and longevity of the extractor I have found that works best for me.

Screw Extractor Set - Screw/Bolt Extractor Sets - Machining Supplies - 3R995 : Grainger Industrial Supply

I was told drill a hole, hammer in and use a wrench to spin out. But afte 4 grade 8 bolts the edges are no longer catching. Do these just wear out or do I ned to sharpen? If so, how? Or am I just doing it wrong as usual.

Carl

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #2  
Most of the time they break before they wear out, as they are high carbon and tend to be brittle. If you are wearing one out, consider yourself extremely lucky! Even skill with the right tools doesn't usually get one to the point of wearing out. Frame it and hang it over the mantel!
Buy another (I get several at a time) and good luck with the new one.
David from jax

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #3  
Google Snap-on Tools
Go to their on-line catalog
search for E1020
or click here
E1020, Extractor Set, 20 pcs.

You'll find a set of straight, non-tapered extractors, that won't swell the bolt and will probably never wear out if properly used. The key is drilling the right size hole in the broken bolt. You can buy individual sizes. You will need the hex adapter in the smaller sizes.
These are the best I've ever used.

The whole set is $110 now, was $25.20 in 1979:cool:

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #4  
Being frugal (broke) most of the time I like to make things last as long as possible. What I have done is grind the tip back to the worn down spot and use a little bit larger drill. I have some extractors that I have done this to 5 times with good results. Don't let the extractor get to hot though it will affect its hardness.

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #5  
Now the obvious question: Why do the bolts keep breaking? 6 bouts a year with any kind of extractor would prompt me to find a solution such as a larger bolt. Maybe at least a preventative changing of the bolts before they break.

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor
It is a design flaw that we all suffer from (all the PT owners). With enough money spent you could get a better design, but none of us want to spend the money.

Basically the blade is attached to the stump jumper with a 5/8" bolt. Bolt hangs below the blade. Hit the blade on a rock the right way and off the blade goes, leaving you with hours of fun repair to look forward to.

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #7  
Due to a design flaw I replace abou 6 5/8 bolts a year on my mower. These bolts hold the mower blades on.

My question is on proper use and longevity of the extractor I have found that works best for me.

Screw Extractor Set - Screw/Bolt Extractor Sets - Machining Supplies - 3R995 : Grainger Industrial Supply

I was told drill a hole, hammer in and use a wrench to spin out. But afte 4 grade 8 bolts the edges are no longer catching. Do these just wear out or do I ned to sharpen? If so, how? Or am I just doing it wrong as usual.

Carl

Thanks for the tip. I haven't found a decent extractor set yet that didn't shear on me the first or second use. 4 uses before failure is an improvement in my book.

Then again, any equipment that required 6 uses a year would be begging for a real fix or be scrap material, IMHO. You have more patience than I.

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #8  
It is a design flaw that we all suffer from (all the PT owners). With enough money spent you could get a better design, but none of us want to spend the money.

Basically the blade is attached to the stump jumper with a 5/8" bolt. Bolt hangs below the blade. Hit the blade on a rock the right way and off the blade goes, leaving you with hours of fun repair to look forward to.

Couldn't one weld something around the bolt heads as a shield? i.e. a 1-1/2" pal (1/2 thick) nut? Weld all the way around & grind to a tapered shoulder ? A bolt head stump jumper ... MikeD74T

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor #9  
To lessen the chance of breaking the easy out, form a "T" handle by using two adjustable wrenches. If the broken bolt hasn't moved after the easy out torques 3 or 4 degrees stop and drill a larger hole to accept a larger easy out. And the easy out isn't always the magic answer.

/ Using an easy out / bolt extractor
The one thing I should note here guys is that these bolts are held in with Caulk. They are not rusted in and there is little resistance once I get a grip on the bolt.

Here is a pix of the blade setup. Because this is a lighter weight cutter, balance is a key issue so welding needs a delicate touch,

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 485