Ford 3000 Diff Problems

/ Ford 3000 Diff Problems #1  

Kevin 007

Tractor
ford3000
Hi Just bought my first tractor Ford 3000 (Not sure of age) running great but rear diff does not appear to be working. When I push the pedal down feels like nothing is engaging. Any Ideas what this could be or is it a case that pressure needs to be on the rear wheels before the diff lock will engage ?

/ Ford 3000 Diff Problems #2  
The rear tires need to be slipping before the differential will lock. Normally, one tire will spin, the other will not be turning.
When you use the diff lock, both will be turning, and hopefully, you'll be moving.

I never "feel" it lock...just see both tires turning and the tractor (normally) moves ahead...

BTW, this a for low speed operation only, and you should be going straight. Once those tires start turning and you're moving, remove your foot from the pedal. It should remain locked....once traction is regained, it will release.

I don't know of any good way to test this unless you're in a slippery, low traction situation that would require use of the differential lock.

We do have a TBNer, Soundguy, who is very knowledgable about these older Fords. You could PM with your question...

Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 Diff Problems #3  
when pushing the diff look down try turning and see if the tractor keeps trying to go straight if it does the diff lock is working if not there is really nothing major inside of the rear diff just a sliding colar and fork is about it

/ Ford 3000 Diff Problems
Thanks Roy