Oliver HG 42 crawler

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #1  

Stacyperry71

Tractor
International 234
The book says to put 60 weight oil in the rollers. Does anyone know if grease can be put into the rollers or should I stick with the oil?

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #2  
morning

does it have grease fittings on rollers? if it does grease it if not add oil if the oil runs out replace seals or install button head grease fittings and grease it do not over grease as it will push out the seals

greg

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler
It has button head grease fittings. It also has the leather seals. I just didn't know if grease would be too thick to get into the bearings.

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #4  
Why consider something other that the manufacturer's recommendation? There is a mighty big difference between 60 WT oil and grease...
Mike

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #5  
Oil. If you do not have the pressure gun, Landis Zimmerman sells them.

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #6  
It's been a common practice to use grease in the rollers when the seals are bad and allow the oil to leak out BUT the grease used is NOT the same grease as you would use to grease your equipment, which has an NGLI consistency of #2 grade usually. If you want to try grease in your rollers, make certain that it has an NLGI consistency of #0 or #00 grade.

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #7  
i used 85/90 wt in my bd cletrac, and it worked well. had a gun with hose and a button head tip

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler
I'm going to use the oil. Found the oil gun from zimmerman's with the button head end on it. Thanks for all the replies and info on it. If anyone wants to see it running go to you tube and in the search type in SUPERSDPERRY and it'll bring up My videos. Thanks

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler #9  
Grease

We have an Oliver OC-3 the follow on to the HG models. About 20 years ago I spent way more time than I wanted to repair the under carriage. I ended up replacing bushings in all the rollers and the front idler wheel. I decided to do an experiment where I ran 90 wt oil on one side and Chevron grease on the other side. I made it a point to lubricate the rollers and idler each time I used which is mostly to plow snow although I got a lot of seat time digging the basement of our house. Grease was/is handily the better lubricant. I switched the other side of the crawler to grease fittings and grease.

/ Oliver HG 42 crawler
Did you use anything special or just regular grease?