New "transfer pump" (fuel pump)

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
New \"transfer pump\" (fuel pump)

Getting a new transfer pump as they call it, that delivers the fuel to the filter then injector pump.

My current one is limping internally, and upon closer inspection, I noticed some drips (slight) of fuel out the inlet and outlet fittings... from around the nut that holds the tube onto the outlet. Fuel not leaking from the thread portion, as much as the center hole, where the tube passes through nut.

This is tightened down as much as can be, so I figure 1 of 2 things, either over time, the hole this fuel line passes through has rounded out some or the tip of it isn't sealing as well inside the pump as it should be.

so, my question is..(and I DO fear to know answer) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

How can I better seal it? Use teflon tape? (expecting resounding NO on this one)

If shouldn't use tape, how might I better seal this, or is the answer simply to replace the fuel line at same time of pump (which is currently ordered, due in later this week).

Thanks
Richard

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #2  
Re: New \"transfer pump\" (fuel pump)

Don't use the tape, (it may break off inside and contaminate).
Use the other stuff, joint thread compound, good for fuel, gas, oil, lp gas, and water.

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #3  

I wouldn't use tape or sealer on a fuel line. When you disassemble check to see if if the fuel line is a flared fitting, fuel lines usually are. If it still leaks with the new pump, you can either get a new fuel line or cut off the flare and reflare it with a standard tubing flare tool available at any auto parts store.
Bill

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump)

Update.. put the new transfer pump on... WOW, fuel "blurped" out the old one. Get outta the way with the new one.. major difference /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Major fuel leak now too /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

With the higher pressure, the fuel really drips out constantly out the nut surrounding the flared tube. This is not a flared tube that might look like a trumpet at the end of it, no, the VERY tip is actually straight for say 1/4 inch length, THEN there is a swelling which is the flair. Sort of like the tube (aka snake) had swallowed something, and the something was further down the throat.

I guess the straight end, goes into the receiver, then the shoulder butts up against something else. It seems as though the fuel tube has some forward/backward play in it. not much at all, but enough to allow fuel to seep past the bulge in it.

Soooooooooo, given the flair of it is fine, I'm contemplating on finding out if an appropriately sized "O" ring might be a good idea to slip onto the end to take up the slack and seal it.

Dont think there is any way the O ring could tear up and become part of my fuel mixture /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif yet, if I can find one sized nicely, might be enough to seal the small gap in there.

Since the fuel line seems to be perfectly shaped and fine, it realy just looks like it's a bazillionth of an inch too short.

Any thoughts on an "O" ring working ? (it really is NOT coming out the threads, again, it's coming out the center hole where the nut encircles the fuel line)

Richard

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #5  

Are we, by any chance, talking about copper tubing with a compression fitting like you would find in a water line? Is it possible the swollen part is a compression ring frozen to the tubing? Or, could you replace what you have with copper tubing with compression fittings or flared copper pipe, which is code for natural or lp gas, with a healthy coating of pipe thread compound, if needed?

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #6  

Look inside the old pump and see if there is an "O" ring or a land for one to ride on. I believe the fitting you described is designed for one.

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #7  

Try and look at parts break down, I think u should have a rubber seal (like a large square o-ring) that goes in first and tube goes into it.
Some tractors used this style for vibration control because too much vibration will crack lines.

Norm..

Not sure of the material, but my first guess is, it's not copper. I presume it's bent steel. It has probably 3 or 4 near 90 degree bends in it, as it snakes it's way out of the fuel pump, back towards engine, turns corner behind engine then makes way up to filter. It's all factory prebent I'm sure.

It's not a compression fitting like on copper water pipe. For simplicity's sake, let's forget any bends/turns.

Take a straw that has the flexible section, SWELL that flexible section up a touch (aka snake swallowing a rat). The TIP of the straw goes into pump, the fat section then presumably is the shoulder that butts up on the inside and provides the basic seal point.. then the nut is behind all this (the nut is not removable because of the flair).

Rather than try to replace with anything and screwing it up as i'm MOST likely to do /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'd simply replace the fuel line with new factory unit. However, I can't believe a gasket might not work first.

Just so happens I brought the old pump into office with me. (so yes, my office currently smells like diesel)

I see NO sign of "O" ring, or grommet in the OLD pump, but I am currently on hold with the dealer and his gut feeling was, I DO need one.

He is now checking

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New "transfer pump" (fuel pump) #10  

<font color="blue"> I see NO sign of "O" ring... </font>

Bet ya a donut... the old one fell off during assembly/disassembly... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif