Harbor Freight smells

/ Harbor Freight smells #1  

Branchchipper

Silver Member
After seeing endless comments on HF tools and sales, I just had to state what seems obvious to me;

Harbor Freight stores smell really awful, and they contain the largest concentration of knock-off junk imaginable...

I am not about to say that I buy nothing from China, but I've drawn the line at HF.

We've been to two different stores- the smell in both was overpowering from the moment we entered; a bit of research indicates that its probably a combination of very poor quality plastic, bad paint and contaminated lubricants.

Common sense says that when a solid or liquid off-gasses for an extended period, it contains unstable compounds. Some of their products and packaging stink for months after they've left the store!

While this problem is not confined to HF, it is the undeniable champion of smelly junk.

Here is a website that attempts to address the odor issue in general terms;

Campaign to Ban Smelly, Chemical-Emitting Plastic from China

In the mean time, you can find much better quality stuff (from China and elsewhere-even USA!) at many stores; Sears, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.

Why would you want to breathe HF air, and bring the odor source back home???? Is it really worth it to save a few pennies?:confused:

/ Harbor Freight smells #2  
I see now,

It is a chemical that is making by all these junky tools. Now I have something to blame other than my poor judgement.

......;)

/ Harbor Freight smells #3  
I havent noticed the smell so much as the increase in prices for their less than quality merchandise. I hadnt been there in several months and last week when I went, I noticed a large increase in pricing. I even found an air impact cheaper by $2 at Atwoods that was almost identical so I guess they are branching out into the cheaper stuff also. I came out with less than $11 worth of merchandise compared to a couple hundred usually. I only picked up a 10 pack of the metal cut off discs and a small needle nose plier for wife to use.

/ Harbor Freight smells #4  
China uses a lot of natural rubber unless a company who hires them to make stuff for them tells them to use synthetic rubber. It's a real problem with valve stems as natural rubber cracks. Most US companies have moved away from natural rubber so we don't smell it very often. When you walk into one of those type of stores you can just smell the rubber.

/ Harbor Freight smells #5  
I know exactly what your talking about. My mom says it smells like a rubber mallet from the dollar store...

/ Harbor Freight smells #6  
"I love the smell of HF in the morning....it smells like....cheap chinese crap..."
With apologies to the writers of "Apocalypse Now"

/ Harbor Freight smells #7  
Harbor Freight doesn't have a store in my area. However, I have ordered several items from them over the Internet. I have been generally satisfied with the merchandise I got, for the price I paid.

My latest HF order was two sets of metric combination wrenches and 3 of their Work lights.

The mid-to large wrench set was made in India, and the finish looked fairly good, but not quite as nice as the Sears Craftsman wrenches that cost twice as much when on sale. The large set (probably larger than I need for anything on my tractor) was made in China and the finish was not great. Regardless, these cheap wrenches will probably do all I ask of them.

I'll post a thread when I get my work lights installed. They looked good, for the money I paid.

I always wanted to visit a Harbor Freight store. Now that I've heard about the awful smell, maybe I'm just as well off buying over the net.:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight smells #8  
"I love the smell of HF in the morning....it smells like....cheap chinese crap..."

"the horror, the horror" mostly the horror of the smell of that Chinese rubber!

James K0UA

/ Harbor Freight smells #9  
I know exactly what your talking about. My mom says it smells like a rubber mallet from the dollar store...

James K0UA

I thought I was the only one who noticed the odor. I can't stand to go to their retail outlet in Toledo, Ohio. Makes me want to vomit.

Hopefully, the chinese don't start making condoms.......:laughing:

/ Harbor Freight smells #10  

James K0UA
Lead fumes.
larry