Ford, 1958 851 Won't start.

/ Ford, 1958 851 Won't start. #1  

Kentincali

Tractor
Ford 851
Thank you all in advance for your help. Ok here is the sinerio. I was driving my 1958 Ford 851. It died with a puff of WHITE smoke coming back out of the air cleaner. I pulled it to the barn and started a restore on it. I was hopeing that it was an electrical problem. Since, I have rewired the whole tractor. New alternator, points condensor, wires, plugs coil, wiring harness. Even new gauges. Ok then putall togeather and tried to start the tractor. It cranks over but will not fire up. So, what could it be? Craked head??? worse
Any suggestions, I would apprecaite it.
Kent

/ Ford, 1958 851 Won't start. #2  
Start with the easy stuff. Is it getting fuel? Check for fuel going into the carb. Is it getting spark? Pull a plug or two and turn it over to see if you can see spark in the plug gap. Did it jump timing? Look at rotor pointing at #1 plug. Also make sure you have proper wiring order after doing all of your work.. Check compression on all cylinders. Is there water showing on the oil dipstick? Is there bubbles in the radiator when you turn it over?

/ Ford, 1958 851 Won't start.
Thank you, I will check all above suggestions today when I get home. I will reach back. As far as a cracked head or someting like that. I assume it would not fire. The oil is clean. no water. I will check everthing else. Thank you so much.