john deere 5310 starter

/ john deere 5310 starter #1  

rick43

I am having proplems with my starter on a Johne Derre 5310 (year 2001).

The starter bendix spins but it doesent engage. The following items have checked out ok.

-ring gear
-no low voltage
-replaced solenoid
-replaced bendix
-has been bench tested under load ok
-ground wire was replaced from battery to starter case
-all test with new battery

When the bendix was replaced it started fine for about 6 or 8 times. Since then it has stopped working again.

I've tried everthing at this point to try to get it working again. Any suggestions or additional help would be appreciated. I'm hoping someone else has had this issue.

Thanks...

/ john deere 5310 starter #2  
your tractor should have come from the factory with a valeo starter number d7r14 this has been a problem starter since day one because i feel it is way to small for the aplication but hey what do i know. the drive and solenoid are the most problem area on these starters i feel the only good drive for these are the o/e valeo drives when you can purchase if your local rebuilder cant get it let me know i can direct you where to get one over the years i have sold several hundered of these becasue they would be beyond repair. also what you are describing is a slipping drive which is in the clutch part of the drive it will spin out great but when it engages under pressure it will not lock into place and cranks the motor. think of a starter drive as a pull rope type lawnmower when you pull the rope it locks up and motor will spin at your own power and starter drive does basically the same when it spins into flywheel and when power cuts off it sling back and off you go.

/ john deere 5310 starter
Thank You for the help Mitch .

Yes my tractor has a d7r14 starter.

Where can i purchase the o/e Valeo drive ?

THANK YOU
Rick

/ john deere 5310 starter #4  
rick where are you loacted then i can put you in touch with soeone clsoe to you.

/ john deere 5310 starter
Hi Mitch

Located @ Stockton Missouri 65785 .

THANK YOU
Rick