Renewing My Old Snowblower

/ Renewing My Old Snowblower #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
A few years ago I bought an old rusty 60" Kubota snowblower. At one time I think it was a front mount blower that someone converted to 3pt rear blower. It works fine but needs some TLC. So I'm in the process of cleaning it up and painting it.

I'll post before and after pics soon, but I question the "gear box". My gear box for the bevel gears is open with no gear oil. The bevel gears just had grease on them. This seems odd to me, but they are not worn that I can tell and it works ok.

Is this normal? Do you think this may have been part of the modification to convert it to a rear blower? Should I attempt to create a sealed box and add gear oil?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG1071.jpg
    IMAG1071.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 318
   / Renewing My Old Snowblower #2  
A few years ago I bought an old rusty 60" Kubota snowblower. At one time I think it was a front mount blower that someone converted to 3pt rear blower. It works fine but needs some TLC. So I'm in the process of cleaning it up and painting it.

I'll post before and after pics soon, but I question the "gear box". My gear box for the bevel gears is open with no gear oil. The bevel gears just had grease on them. This seems odd to me, but they are not worn that I can tell and it works ok.

Is this normal? Do you think this may have been part of the modification to convert it to a rear blower? Should I attempt to create a sealed box and add gear oil?

Thanks.
there are alot of blowers without an oil immersed gear box. My old one didnt have oil and ran it for many years. Just keep it greased.

/ Renewing My Old Snowblower
Thanks for the quick reply Grsthegreat. That's reassuring. I'll keep it greased up.

Now, onward with the project!

/ Renewing My Old Snowblower #4  
+1 on the keep greased and run with it -- I have a bush trailer built from an old truck rear end -- the diff cover has never been there in my memory and a little grease seems to keep it operating fine -- not as if it is likely to overheat in the normal usage temperatures :D

/ Renewing My Old Snowblower #5  
I think it goes back to keep it simple and save some money. The snowblower is used when there is no dust or dirt flying around to get in the grease, just some snow and maybe rain... water will run off it. Safety and protection from grime would be benefit to closed gear box.. you could always add a shield to help with safety issues..

The gears are mounted in a U shaped box bolted to the blower box and there is a shield for the top.
So it is only open on the bottom.

Good point though.

Thanks guys. I'll keep it greased.

Ok, another question.

I'm installing a power window motor to turn the chute. How do you wire it?

I have mounted and tested it to my satisfaction. I put neg on one wire and pos on the other and it spins the chute. Then I switch polarity and it spins the other way.

But how do you wire it to switch polarity? I have a momentary on-off-on switch. What else do I need?

Thanks.

/ Renewing My Old Snowblower #8  
Ok, another question.

I'm installing a power window motor to turn the chute. How do you wire it?

I have mounted and tested it to my satisfaction. I put neg on one wire and pos on the other and it spins the chute. Then I switch polarity and it spins the other way.

But how do you wire it to switch polarity? I have a momentary on-off-on switch. What else do I need?

Thanks.

im not sure how you could do that without a on-off-on switch with dual posts (6 posts all together). A standard on -off-on switch couldnt reverse the polarity. Any one else have a better idea.??? These are called DPDT or double pole double throw switches. They come in maintained and momentary. Youll need momentary style.

I made a little diagram for you that will help out.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUBBELL-WIRING-DEVICEKELLEMS-Rocker-Switch-3JC10?Pid=search

Attachments

• snowblower control..bmp
    151.2 KB · Views: 232
  • snowblower control..jpg
    snowblower control..jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 204
   / Renewing My Old Snowblower #9  
here, i found another link. says the same thing.

Also, remember you dont want a maintained switch. your going to want a momentary switch.