FarmTrac Woes.. or Whoa

/ FarmTrac Woes.. or Whoa #1  

phiferpharm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac
I'm having a problem with my FarmTrac 535. It runs fine for 30-40 minutes, then seems to have one of the three cylinders stop firing. I've changed out the fuel filters, checked the tank for debris, filtered the fuel for water, put Diesel treatment in the tank, and ....problem continues.

Tractor has 120 hours on it and I've serviced it regularly. Only thing I notice is it may have a valve tap or at least my novice ears think that is what it is. Any thoughts from anyone, and if not any of you folks who reside in my neck of the woods know of any mobile tractor repair in the Ocala-Palatka area?

/ FarmTrac Woes.. or Whoa #2  
Doug,

I'd try loosening each injector line at the injector while the engine was running to determine which cylinder is not firing.

If you hear a valve tap, then check the valve clearance, paying special attention to the misfiring cylinder. But, it's unusual for a valve noise to appear suddenly after 30--40 minutes of run time repeatedly.

What you may be hearing is noise from the injector, not a valve tap.

If the valve clearance is okay and pushrods don't look bent, I'd pull the injectors and have them tested. I'd also do a compression check on the engine while I had the injectors out.

Hope this helps.

Mark

/ FarmTrac Woes.. or Whoa
Thanks Mark, I'm going to go rent a flatbed and take it to the dealer I purchased it from. I don't think I'm competent enough to do that type of engine work. Still, you have given me enough information to know what I should talk to the dealer about and expect them to do to start with. :thumbsup: