Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Default Re: 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner

Another vote for seaforam

If that fails, a teardown is in order. Watch the carb cleaners on any rubber on the carb (gaskets etc) , some cleaners really do a number on it.

Tractor
    1700 4wheel drive, Yazoo/Kees Max2 Zero Turn

I got this link from one of the forums. Its a list of stations that sell ethanol free fuel, listed by state. Quite a few in Texas.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Russell

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

You can buy "Real" gas at most marina's. I get all my small engine fuel at the local marina.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855

Quote Originally Posted by Fixemall View Post
    Seafoam will work but, spraying it in will not expose it to the clogged jets, you must introduce it into the carb via the fuel line.
    Fixemall is absolutely correct. You are unlikely to fix any gummed carburetor by simply spraying stuff in it while it is running. I always thought it was false advertising of sorts when you read these cans that tell you that you can fix a gummed carb by spraying their product in a running engine.
    -Jay

Tractor
    John Deere 4510

Quote Originally Posted by ak9 View Post
    Bird
    I've had sooo many issues with small engine carbs whether 2 stroke or four in the last 2-3 years.. unreal ! I replaced quite a few carbs ( Jacks smallengines.com) because of the "reformulated gas"(10% alcohol). The new alcohol mix seems to really mess with small engines.This is not my opinion ...proven fact. Unfortunatly for me is all that is available locally.
    I also only run 93 octane & w/ Stihl HP Ultra synthetic in my 2 strokes.
    I've added lead additive to my mix and it does seem to help along with stabil.
    I also never leave any gas in the carb/ tank for any lenght of time after use
    ak9
    Try StarTron instead of Stabil.

Unfortunately, the replies to this thread confirm what I suspected. Oh well, it's running great right now without doing anything. So I appreciate all the replies.
    Bird

Tractor
    NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's, MF 30 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I've no experience at all with Seafoam. In fact, on TBN is the only place I've even heard of it. I do use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic 2 cycle oil and add Stabil to the gas.
    I may be wrong but I think I read that Stihl Ultra has stabilizer in in already.
    Saves a step in the memory process.
    Bob H
    NH 2007 TC34DA 1985 MF30E Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by 6sunset6 View Post
    I may be wrong but I think I read that Stihl Ultra has stabilizer in in already.
    Saves a step in the memory process.
    Oh, it does say right on the bottle "contains fuel stabilizers", but I add some Stabil anyway.
    Bird

Anyway, it ran great today and dethatching the back yard wore me plumb out. I'd really just gotten started good when I made the first 2 photos and then had some help filling 8 contractor bags later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn0348-1080-x-810-jpg   -dscn0349-1080-x-810-jpg   -dscn0351-1080-x-810-jpg   -dscn0352-1080-x-810-jpg  
    Bird

Tractor
    John Deere 5075M, Bobcat Toolcat 5600

The ethanol content in the new fuel formulations just ruins the fuel pumps and metering diaphragms in 2 cycle carburetors. Using a carburetor cleaner on a running machine would harm these components as well as the neoprene type tips on the metering and mixture needles.

Using the 89-92 octane gasoline and the best oil mix with stabilizing additives you can afford, is highly recommended. Run the tank and carb dry when you aren't going to use it for a few weeks or longer will also help tremendously.

We are rebuilding small engine carburetors constantly. About every two years it seems for most machines. Most kits are about $12. If you're mechanically inclined, it's pretty straightforward. Your local shop guy should be able to do it in 1/2 hour.

Also, your screws being 'all the way open', do they have limiter caps on them? Most limit what the consumer can do to the adjustment (because of the EPA standards).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast