2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
There's been a number of products on the market for spraying or pouring into automotive carburetors with the engine running. But has anyone ever used one of the aerosol products on a 2 cycle engine? If so, which product and what kind of results did you get?

And the reason I ask. My little Mantis tiller was not running its best. So yesterday, I played with the carb adjustments and found it runs great with both low and high speed adjustment screws turned all the way counterclockwise, which of course just doesn't seem right. I did also check the exhaust screen and it's clear and clean.

Anyway, I've just wondered if I'd help or hurt it by spraying carb cleaner into the air intake with the engine running.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #2  
Bird, I'd sure be careful using cleaner on a 2-cycle. Since it has no oil mixed in, it might cause galling or scoring of the cylinder. If it were made exclusively for 2-cycles or was mixed with fuel, it would be less apt to cause a problem, but I'd think twice about just spraying in regular carb cleaner like Berryman B-12.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #3  
If it were me I would just put Seafoam in the fuel or in a spray bottle and use it with the engine reved up.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner
Bird, I'd sure be careful using cleaner on a 2-cycle. Since it has no oil mixed in, it might cause galling or scoring of the cylinder. If it were made exclusively for 2-cycles or was mixed with fuel, it would be less apt to cause a problem, but I'd think twice about just spraying in regular carb cleaner like Berryman B-12.

Jim, that's just the reason I was asking. I found somewhere on the Internet where someon had the same opinion about causing gallin or scoring of the cylinder.

Since it's running great right now, I don't suppose I need to do anything for the time being, but I just wondered about spraying B-12, or maybe WD-40 in the air intake while the engine was revved up.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #5  
Disconnect the fuel line and run it on 100% sea foam till it smokes, shut it down with the choke and let it sit 12-24 hrs, reconnect line and it should run fine once the smoke clears.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner
If it were me I would just put Seafoam in the fuel or in a spray bottle and use it with the engine reved up.

I've no experience at all with Seafoam. In fact, on TBN is the only place I've even heard of it. I do use Stihl HP Ultra synthetic 2 cycle oil and add Stabil to the gas.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #8  
Seafoam will work but, spraying it in will not expose it to the clogged jets, you must introduce it into the carb via the fuel line.

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #9  
Bird
I've had sooo many issues with small engine carbs whether 2 stroke or four in the last 2-3 years.. unreal ! I replaced quite a few carbs ( Jacks smallengines.com) because of the "reformulated gas"(10% alcohol). The new alcohol mix seems to really mess with small engines.This is not my opinion ...proven fact. Unfortunatly for me is all that is available locally.
I also only run 93 octane & w/ Stihl HP Ultra synthetic in my 2 strokes.
I've added lead additive to my mix and it does seem to help along with stabil.
I also never leave any gas in the carb/ tank for any lenght of time after use
ak9

/ 2 Cycle Carburetor Cleaner #10  
Try the seafoam Bird. I used it in my Chainsaw when the rope would barely pull and it worked like a champ.. Starts easy now and runs great.