plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look
ok sorry its been so long I have been busy. I have the tractor torn down, and have a better idea what I am up against. I THINK i am in luck. there is a flat surface the size if a business card, on the top of the radiator, in the middle of the flat area is a hole the size of a dime. I tested a spot on the opposite side of radiator, jb weld sticks very well. I cut a piece of aluminum slightly smaller than the flat area. my plan is to smear the flat area with jb weld. push the aluminum plate down into the JB weld till it oozes out from all 4 sides. let this completely cure, then come back with a second coat of JB weld from the sides,over the top and down other sides, making a complete covering that should cure as one big patch.

I am the kind of guy that cannot use glue without sticking my fingers together so I probably wont take pictures, dont want to glue the blackberry to the tractor !!!!

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #13  
too bad the hole isn't in a place near the fill nect so that you could get a plate into the neck and on the underside with an oring and make a pinch repair.

could still do it with a toggle bolt and metal plate and oring..

in any event.. tell us how it works out!

soundguy

I had thought about a toggle bolt type repair, and drilling 4 holes and bolting the cover plate in with permatex. but every one else that looks at it agrees that the jb weld should hold. I didnt go with the toggle bolt idea mainly because it is way on the other side from the upper hose. If it were on the side where I could get "Under" it, so I could hold toggle as it tightened I might have went that way. vibration is what scared me off more than anything, didnt want a toggle going into a water pump a year down the road !!!! Its good to see that we were thinking along the same lines though. I do like to think outside the box. but will try the "non invasive" methods first :)

here are 2 pics, (I hope) of my progress first is hole. sanded, wiped with isopropal, and dried. second is after covering area with JB weld the pushing a piece of alum. doen into the mix until it squished out the edgges. when I clamped the peice of alum. in my vice to cut it I noticed the vice teeth "dimpled" the surface, kind of a mini diamond plate feel so I clamped it over and over to rough up the surface. after this cures all night and day I will stop by tonight and sand the area again and "paint" the whole area with a second coat of JB weld one big patch over the entire section. wish me luck !!

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 234
  • patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 217
sorry there are so many typos,

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #17  
typo's are no big deal, my sole computer is a lil netbook with 8" screen.. my hands side by side are bigger than the keyboard.. I kill words now. I am actually a good/fast typist.. 90_ wpm.. on a REAL 101+ keyboard that is.. NOT THESE LIL 88KEY CONDENSED BOARDS WITH KEYS THE SIZE OF CHICKLET GUM.. :)

darn capslock.. GRRR

best of luck on the repair

keep an eye on it..

soundguy

So far so good. got tractor far enough back together to start it up and move it into the garage. Let it run till thermostat opened, no leaks. The darned ground cable was boken and just hanging on. I didnt notice it until I went to put it on new battery, of course it broke away then. So tonight I put on new cables, new battery hold down assembly, and put hood and fenders back on the old girl. Then I will give it a good workout to check it out. Thanks for all the advice, and good wishes. I think it will work out just fine.

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #19  
just keep an eye on the damage and water level

best of luck with her!

Got it all back together, and ran it around the farm for a while. NO LEAKS! I
pulled it into the garage to check the water level and when I took the radiator cap off I heard the great sound of the pressure venting. I take that as a good sign that the system holds pressure. it wasnt just my repair I was worried about. The whole radiator is "tweaked and Twisted" actually the radiator support bracket, wich the hood also bolts too is "racked" I could only get 3 out of the four bolt holes to line up. I left the bracket bent and used smaller bolt with a fender washer to square the hood up. LOL I dont care about the looks, If the hood isnt straight then fenders dont latch in right, then theres more places for sticks to get in and do damage. so for less than $100.00 its got new battery,cables,and hold down. repaired radiator, all the fenders and side panels removed, straightend, rebolted and squared. and I had an old stainless steel rack in my warehouse at work, that I think came out of a drink machine. Any how its heavy, c channel type, looks pretty stout. I fahioned it into a little brush gaurd, hope it saves me doing this ever again! I will post back in a few weeks with more good reviews! ( I hope)