repair of tool box/running board on my NAA

/ repair of tool box/running board on my NAA #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Here is the before pic... running board with the tool box lid gon, and the floor rusted out.... makes getting on and off the tractor a bit difficult.

Soundguy

Attachments

• 249768-tlbx3.JPG
    249768-tlbx3.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 481
   / repair of tool box/running board on my NAA
Here is the new lid I made.. used existing hinges, and had to fabricate a shackle style locking mechanism using a pin an old hinge and a cotter pin.

I replaced the floor of hte tool box with a perferated metal... not regular expanded metal.. but one with little 1/16th holes in it. First box must have rusted out due to holding hater.. this new one won't hold water.. but will still hold small nuts washers.. etc... And the new box/lid holds me getting up on the tractor!.. a deffinate plus.

Soundguy

Attachments

• 249769-tlbx2.JPG
    249769-tlbx2.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 452
Not great work.. but I can' weld well, so took my time and made something that worked and was sturdy.. but not very pretty... oh well.. least I don't have to worry about forgetting and putting my foot through a hole and falling off the tractor now..

Soundguy

/ repair of tool box/running board on my NAA #5  
Looks like a pretty good fix to me... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ repair of tool box/running board on my NAA #6  
They make grinders for folks that can't weld well! a welder told me that . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lets put it this way... I'm an excelent grinder!

That lid for instance.. I need to get a new cutting tip for my O/A bottles.. so I had to use my angle grinder and a cutting blade on it... Perty good job if you ask me.

Best of all.. it works and is safer... I kept having thoughs of forgetting and falling through.. or having to clutch and break rappidly and foot slipping off and through. and getting sucked under.. etc.

Soundguy

/ repair of tool box/running board on my NAA #8  
Hey soundguy try a cutting blade for your circular saw. i bought one and used it this weekend to cut some 3/4 " cable. beat a torch.
Now my circular saw has another purpose.

Oh yeah they look just like a chop saw blade just smaller. i think they would work great for cutting sheet steel that wasnt to thick.

Hey greak idea.. I didn't even know they were available for a circular saw... If so.. I also have a radail arm saw ( circ saw on arm.. does angles / pivots, etc.. )

That would be even better...

Soundguy

/ repair of tool box/running board on my NAA #10  
Nice job.My running board is still in good shape.Now the toolbox is another story,it's gone.Look around for prices for them cutting wheels.Big differance at times.I use them all the time on metal up to 1/4 inch thick.The trick to make them last longer is not to use the whole wheel.Hold up on the saw so that you use only enough to get you through the metal.