Rim Guard or polyurethane fill

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #1  

rmankty

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 farmall cub
Hello, I am looking to increase weight on rear wheels on '48 farmall cub.I have looked at Rim Guard and polyurethane filler.Does anyone use any of these? Would like to get ideas, if you have used either or not on liquid ballast for tubed tires for use in Northern Climates. Setting up tractor as alternative snow plow. Thank you!

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #2  
I have rimguard in my new tractor, love it. My old tractor used mag chloride with innertubes. It worked ok also, but one time i got a flat, and the CaCL destroyed about $250 worth of steel plate stock i had stored in building.

Rimguard is beet juice so it wont harm anything. Rimguard doesnt need innertubes, but you should use brass valves after install and NOT rubber valve stems.

Not sure about that poly product your asking about.

heres some basic info on rim guard

Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast Handling Tips

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #3  
Hello, I am looking to increase weight on rear wheels on '48 farmall cub.I have looked at Rim Guard and polyurethane filler.Does anyone use any of these? Would like to get ideas, if you have used either or not on liquid ballast for tubed tires for use in Northern Climates. Setting up tractor as alternative snow plow. Thank you!
I've got Rim Guard also and love it. If I wouldn't have been able to get rim guard I would have just put ballast on the back. I filled my tires myself after going and picking up the rim guard. I'm going to guess the polyurethane you mention is what people refer to as foam filled. If I could afford that I would have done it, but I've heard that it's pretty pricey.

Wedge

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #4  
I've got Rim Guard also and love it. If I wouldn't have been able to get rim guard I would have just put ballast on the back. I filled my tires myself after going and picking up the rim guard. I'm going to guess the polyurethane you mention is what people refer to as foam filled. If I could afford that I would have done it, but I've heard that it's pretty pricey.

Wedge

Does the foam fill add any weight? I thought it was just to prevent flats. :confused2:

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #5  
ya, i wouldnt think foam would add much weight.

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #7  
The foam fill is supposed to make the tires 'hard'. They claim it makes for a rougher ride.

I use Rim Guard myself.

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #8  
I bought a ZTM that had the front tires foamed.

I will never have a tire that I ride on foamed. Thankfully the daughter likes using it so I am OK until she leaves home. :D

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #9  
I see mostly boom lifts with foamed tires and they are all pretty slow and on smooth surfaces.

/ Rim Guard or polyurethane fill #10  
Apples and Oranges.

Rim guard is for ballast. Poly (foam) is for flat proofing tires. The Poly is more expensive and unless you plan on operating in areas that are prone to puncture I would stay away. The foam all though it adds weight is not as heavy as liquid ballast........then if you need to change out a tire.......expect a shop to up charge you for having to cut the tire from the rim vs just draining out the rim guard and changing it out normally.