Generator not charging.

/ Generator not charging. #1  

gtruckman

Tractor
Fiat 411R
I have a 411R Fiat tractor and I was told that the generator is good. Once I got it home and installed its only putting out 1.9v when not under load and 0.5v when its connected. My multimeter is set on 200v. Any advice?

/ Generator not charging. #2  
i suspect your generator is either lucas or bosch either one should have 2 post or hookups coming out of the case. by using a voltmeter with regulator disconnected if you have a 6 volt it should go to about 9 to 10 volts this is called full field non regulated electricity if you have a12 volt system it should go to about 14 to 15 volts if this is the case you probably have an issue with the regulator. it would be most helpful to have the brand and part number of the generator we can surely help you a lot more hook the voltmeter to the post or hookups coming from the field case with the tractor running, let us know

/ Generator not charging.
I have checked out the marking on the generator. they are as follows.

Fiat
DC115/24/713c
411 6257 4n

I am getting 1.5 when it is disconnected from the tractor, and about 0.5 when it is connected. I have my voltmeter set on 200.

/ Generator not charging. #4  
set your voltmeter on '0' and watch the rise in voltage as the tractor runs when you had it in the shop did you see the test stand while they were testing the generator and how much voltage it was puting out there. generators are the most basic of charging devices ever built but can be one of the toughest to test. keep in mind the generator is basically only three moving parts that make it function the armature the field coils and the brushes they are other parts there but these make it work or not.let us know how it tests this away

/ Generator not charging.
I didn't see the test in the shop, I just had to take the repairman word on it. I have a Mastercraft multimeter. I am not sure what setting you want me to put it on. I have Ohms, Amps (the letter"A" with 3 dots and 1 line over it) V with a "~" over it and V with 3 dots and a line.

Please be aware that I am no where near an electrician, so whatever you tell me is teaching.

/ Generator not charging. #6  
Do you have the meter set to DC volts. This sounds like an AC reading.

/ Generator not charging. #7  
You may need to polarize the generator if it has been removed from the tractor. google it and you will find how to do this.

/ Generator not charging. #8  
with the tractor OFF. take a jumper wire from the B or BAT terminal and the G of gen terminal on the voltage regulator.. You only need to touch it monmentarily. Good luck