970 deere jb welded leaking injector

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #1  

lbzduramax

Tractor
JD 4710, JD 970
I purchased a 970 Deere a few months back. Now I know why it was such a deal! The #2 injector (second from the drivers seat to the front) has an air leak. I already replaced the #1 injector seal and its held up well. To today I tore into it to replace the seal. I lifted the bracket that holds down the injector to find some type of epoxy like JB weld holding the injector in place. I am tryin to get an answer from the previous owner to see what caused him to do that.
My question is should I attempt to pull it out or might I need to replace the head, and about how much does that part cost?

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #2  
wow, good luck with that. I would try to pull it our first. You may tear up the injector or the head doing it, but maybe not. It is worth a try before you just go replacing it. Maybe you can at least tell what was wrong with it if you can get it out.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #3  
gotta love jbweld engine repairs.

I was just working on a 48 farmall C.. the interference fit cranksahft pulley was jb welded tot he crank snout. I had to use a 26 ton hyd puller to remove it, and broke the 70$ pulley doing so.. jbweld was ovious once pulled.. :(

good luck

soundguy

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #4  
Amazing.

I have never been successful using JB Weld since trying it the first time in the early 80's.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #5  
Amazing.

I have never been successful using JB Weld since trying it the first time in the early 80's.

Great stuff if it's mixed properly and used within the working life.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #6  
i meant 16 ton.. not 26 ton.

still.. it broke the cast iron pulley using a proper large bearing splitter as a bulling plate and the 16 ton jack... good stuff I'd say.

Needless to say i put the new pulley on with a lil neverseize, interference fit , and a gr8 bolt and pusher plate and 3/4" air gun to get it to seat. no jb!

soundguy

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector
Great stuff if it's mixed properly and used within the working life.

Very true, I think I have yet to mix it just right.
The weld held up well, but when I checked to see how tight the other injectors were after replacing the #1 injector seal, I may have created the problem I have! Time for some fun.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #8  
to find some type of epoxy like JB weld holding the injector in place.

Could it be baked on old diesel coking ?

I've seen some inj leaks with that stuff running down the side of a block that took a chisel to remove.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector
Could it be baked on old diesel coking ?

I've seen some inj leaks with that stuff running down the side of a block that took a chisel to remove.

Yessir it very well could be. I havent had any time to look deeper into it from when I discovered it. Will dig deeper hopefully tomorrow. Tryin to reach the previous owner as well to see what is the case.
If it is carbon how might one suggest I go about to remove the injector and correctly repair the leak?
Thanks all.

/ 970 deere jb welded leaking injector #10  
Hopefully it's easy to get at. But basically it's elbow grease kinda work.

A medium size old screw driver, a small hammer and a pair of goggles and start chipping away.

This stuff can be gooey, hard as nails or hard/brittle. All depends on the 'area' it was being baked at.

Once you get it cleaned up and inj out, getting the seal seat cleaned without damaging is very important. The majority of them are a flat copper washer seal and you can get cutters to redo if real bad.

Also rigging up the shop vac with a extra small hose can come in handy for this job.