where to buy a coil spring?

/ where to buy a coil spring? #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I am planning to mfg a bale ramp for my round baler. I need a couple springs to return the ramp.

I'm thinking a coil spring about 24 inches long ... one that a rod about 1" in diameter would slide thru ... don't know for sure what a spring like that is called or where to find one.

Any info would be great.

/ where to buy a coil spring? #2  
Tension or compression. If a tension spring is needed a garage door spring might be a consideration and should be easily obtainable.

/ where to buy a coil spring?
Tension or compression. If a tension spring is needed a garage door spring might be a consideration and should be easily obtainable.

I'm thinking it would be a compression spring ... as the ramp goes down from the weight of the bale the spring on each side would compress and then when the bale rolls off, the spring would push the ramp back up.

Here's a picture of the ramp idea on a new baler. The springs are the ones on the back ramp down by the wheel.

Attachments

• bale ramp.jpg
    bale ramp.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 177
   / where to buy a coil spring? #4  
McMaster-Carr would be the first place I would look. By the way, you can stack compression springs on a rod. Just place a washer between them.

/ where to buy a coil spring? #5  
Check out the local 4x4 shops, I'll bet they have something laying around that will fit your needs.

E/S

McMaster-Carr would be the first place I would look. By the way, you can stack compression springs on a rod. Just place a washer between them.

Thanks..I was wondering about that.

Check out the local 4x4 shops, I'll bet they have something laying around that will fit your needs.

E/S

Good idea ... appreciate that.

/ where to buy a coil spring? #7  
blueriver

If you have a auto salvage/junk yard near you , try there. I've seen similar springs on rear strut towers on smaller type cars
If you choose to "wind" the spring "torsion" with an axel thruogh it try garage door parts place.

ak9

/ where to buy a coil spring? #8  
Do some torque calculations to figure out what spring load you need. Spring force equals deflection times the spring rate. If you stack springs you divide the rate by the number of springs in the stack. You can adjust the mounting position to accomodate a variety of spring configurations. The quantitiy that defines whether a spring will work is the energy storage capacity of the spring = 1/2 rate times deflection squared. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pespr.html

Do the springs need to support some of the bale weight or just hold the ramp up between drops? Here are some possible choices. A shock/spring combo will give a smoother action.

QA1 Precision Products 12-200 - QA1 Coil Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com Click on the "product line" link to see available rates.

Multiple of these?
Surplus Center - COILOVER OIL-FILLED SHOCK ABSORBER ASSEMBLY

Do some torque calculations to figure out what spring load you need. Spring force equals deflection times the spring rate. If you stack springs you divide the rate by the number of springs in the stack. You can adjust the mounting position to accomodate a variety of spring configurations. The quantitiy that defines whether a spring will work is the energy storage capacity of the spring = 1/2 rate times deflection squared. Elastic Potential Energy

Do the springs need to support some of the bale weight or just hold the ramp up between drops? Here are some possible choices. A shock/spring combo will give a smoother action.

QA1 Precision Products 12-200 - QA1 Coil Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com Click on the "product line" link to see available rates.

Multiple of these?
Surplus Center - COILOVER OIL-FILLED SHOCK ABSORBER ASSEMBLY

Thanks ... the springs are for the return of the ramp only. Will not support the bale.

Well I had an old JD 4 row cultivator ... salvage. I pulled the springs and swivel assembly ... welded up the brackets and just finished the bale ramps. Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited: