Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190

/ Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190 #1  

streamlight

Tractor
Case 1190
I have a Case 1190 that I've had for about 7 years and have not had any trouble with it other than general maintance stuff such as waterpumps,etc. It has always started fine with no trouble. This summer drought that we experienced in Louisiana, I parked the tractor in the barn for about 2 months without starting it, because bush hogging was not necessary. Last week I tried to start it and it would not. I discovered air had gotten into the systems and I bled it and worked just fine. I let it sit for another couple of days and air got into the system again, I bled it and it ran just fine again. The next time I tried to start it, I had to bleed the system but this time when it started, it smoked (white, burned eyes) like crazy and would misfire the more throttle you gave it. I have changed fuel filters, transfer pump, drained the fuel and put fresh diesel in it and had the injectors tested. All checked good but one was a little weak but not enough to cause that kind of trouble. I cannot find any leaks in the system as far as I can see. Common sense tells me there is. The injector pump is a CAV distributor type (just for reference)Any thoughts or ideas would be greatley appreciated.

/ Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190 #2  
The first problem, having to bleed the system often, sounds like you have a very small leak in a fuel supply line between the fuel tank and the "transfer" or "feed" pump. That little pump on the side of the block with the lever to prime the system. Or your fuel could be leaking back from the injection pump, past the check valve in the transfer pump, allowing air to enter the system.

The second problem, white smoke and misfiring sounds like you may have some water in the system. You can take the little inspection window off the side of the injection pump, drain the fuel from the pump and re-bleed the system. Catch whatever fuel comes out of the pump and see if there's any water in it.

Have you determined which cylinder is misfiring? Is it the same one every time? White smoke usually indicates unburned fuel so low compression could be a factor. There are several causes of low compression.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Mark

/ Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190
Mark thanks for your response. You have offered suggestions that I have not heard yet. I do have a line between the tank and transfer pump that was questionable to me. It is a hard plastic type line that has a kink at the nut that screws onto the transfer pump. I will replace that line as soon as possible. I did not know about the inspection plate on the side of the injection pump, I will look for that when I get home. I have noticed that when I kill the tractor, I can hear fuel or air going back into the tank, that should not happen should it? As far as the misfiring on a particular cylinder, I have not fully determined that. I broke the nut at each injector while it was running and it seemed that it was only running on one cylinder. I moved the injectors around and it just seems its kinda of random not following any particular injector or at one particular cylinder. I will spend more time on that after I check for the water in the fuel system and repair that line. I'll keep you posted and thanks for your help..

/ Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190 #4  
the miss firing and smoking could be the air filters

/ Smoking and Misfiring Case 1190 #5  
I have noticed that when I kill the tractor, I can hear fuel or air going back into the tank, that should not happen should it?

That could be normal. The injection pump can't use all the fuel that the transfer pump supplies to it, so there's a return line from the injection pump to the tank. This line usually tees into a return line from the injectors so that any fuel not used can return to the tank.

IIRC this return line goes into the top of the fuel tank, so it's possible you could hear the return fuel going into the tank for a split second after shutdown.

Mark

Ok Mark, thanks. And thanks Whodat, I'll check those filters as well.

Yee Haaaaaaaa !!!! Got it going.. Replaced the line between the tank and the lift pump and it ran like a charm... I'll be changing the air filters next. I appreciate yalls input, it was extremely helpful ....