JD 4300 factory lights

/ JD 4300 factory lights #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
Five or six years ago the lights went strange. Turn signals and hazard lights both quit flashing. After many hours with the dash torn apart I tracked the problem down and replaced the faulty unit that caused the grief. I remember that it was NOT the part I had expected...
Now it has happened again. Does anyone know if it is the turn signal switch or the main headlight switch??? Don't really want to tear things apart, trouble shoot, re-assemble, order from dealer, then tear apart again to install....

/ JD 4300 factory lights #2  
Have you checked your fuses and relays?

/ JD 4300 factory lights
All the lights will work, they just don't flash when ordered. Same symptoms as last time, I'm betting on the same cause. Switch on the left turn signal and the left light goes on, ditto the right.

/ JD 4300 factory lights #4  
All the lights will work, they just don't flash when ordered. Same symptoms as last time, I'm betting on the same cause. Switch on the left turn signal and the left light goes on, ditto the right.

I don't understand..."switch on the left turn signal and the left light goes on...".
Which light? Headlamp?

/ JD 4300 factory lights
Turn signal lamp goes on, it stays on and doesn't flash.
The proper test of components, according to the book, involves removing them from the dash, not something you can do in place.....

/ JD 4300 factory lights #6  
The proper test of components, according to the book, involves removing them from the dash, not something you can do in place.....

I don't have my operators or service manual close by...but isn't there a relay controlling the flashers?

/ JD 4300 factory lights #7  

What I did, rather than replace the Deere flasher part, is use a standard
automotive flasher unit (about $4 at the auto parts store). These
flasher units often do not flash if one of the light bulbs are out. If burnt
out, the flasher does not pass enough current to adequately heat the
bimetal strip inside.

/ JD 4300 factory lights #8  
Mine does the same thing has always done it so I just don't use it. Fixed it 3 times already different thing every time. Head lights and work light work fine just not flashers or blinkers they will shine but not blink

/ JD 4300 factory lights
There is no separate flasher unit on these. It is built into either the main headlight/hazard switch or the turn signal switch. Hoping someone knew which....I can't tell from the shop manual, they just tell how to test each unit with a VOM. To see what I am doing, I need the units on the bench

/ JD 4300 factory lights #10  
There is no separate flasher unit on these. It is built into either the main headlight/hazard switch or the turn signal switch. Hoping someone knew which....I can't tell from the shop manual, they just tell how to test each unit with a VOM. To see what I am doing, I need the units on the bench

There is one flasher unit for both the turn signals and the hazards. I
went with a separate generic flasher from Kragen's and deleted the
turn signals. I have no use for turn signals on a tractor. If I drive my CUT
on the public road, I use the hazard flashers. I imagine some folks use
turn signals, but I have not met one.