Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please

/ Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #1  

wirenut

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035, MF250, New Holland LS190, JD Gator 6x4
FIL recently passed away leaving me to fix his old MF 35 and sell it for MIL. I have chased fuel leaks for 3 days and finally got them all fixed.:confused2: The other big problem that has to be fix before we can sell it is one of the lift arm pins is broken. This is the pins that are located on the bottom of the axle housing. Does anyone know how these things are installed? I have tried unscrewing the one that is not broken out and it does not seem to have threads on it. Could it be pressed in? It is very hard to turn, and has moved out maybe 1/4" by the hardest. It appears not to be coming out any more than that. I have attached picts of the broken pin and the good pin. Anyone got a clue on this?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• CIMG3191.jpg
    CIMG3191.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 340
  • CIMG3192.jpg
    CIMG3192.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 361
   / Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #2  
Here is the part number for the pin. 181229M2

If you copy and paste to Google search, you will see in some parts pages, a picture of the pin, complete with nuts. Yes, one on each end. The internal one looks to be a lock nut.

Of course, this doesn't help you in how to replace it. Not sure if it would be accessable by removing the top cover, or having to separate the axle housing, from the main housing...

/ Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please
Here is the part number for the pin. 181229M2

If you copy and paste to Google search, you will see in some parts pages, a picture of the pin, complete with nuts. Yes, one on each end. The internal one looks to be a lock nut.

Of course, this doesn't help you in how to replace it. Not sure if it would be accessable by removing the top cover, or having to separate the axle housing, from the main housing...

That's certainly very helpful. It is much longer than I thought. Don't look like it's going to be any fun changing them out. Much appreciate your help.

/ Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #4  
Get her all fixed up and painted you won't want to sell her....(the tractor)

/ Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #5  
Could you just weld a new post on looks like that would be easier and cheaper

Could you just weld a new post on looks like that would be easier and cheaper

there is so little of the old pin there, it actually is more like a hole, it would be next to impossible to get a good weld. This pin gets pulled on really hard by any implements, I just don't think it would hold up.

/ Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #7  
assuming it's like a ford, and it likely is, you pull the axle trumpet and repalce it from the other side.. likely is a tapered pin and has a castelated nut onthe other side.

you can usually remove left, trumpet, then chunk, and reach thru and do right, IF needed.

a chainfall / cherry picker, etc can help you pull the axle and trumpet as a assy if you want.. etc..

member farmwithjunk likely knows this repair like the back of his hand and correct me if I am wrong on the procedure as it compairs with fords.. etc..

soundguy

assuming it's like a ford, and it likely is, you pull the axle trumpet and repalce it from the other side.. likely is a tapered pin and has a castelated nut onthe other side.

you can usually remove left, trumpet, then chunk, and reach thru and do right, IF needed.

a chainfall / cherry picker, etc can help you pull the axle and trumpet as a assy if you want.. etc..

member farmwithjunk likely knows this repair like the back of his hand and correct me if I am wrong on the procedure as it compairs with fords.. etc..

soundguy

Thanks soundguy, I ordered the parts, thanks to DJ's reply, and you are right about the tapered pin. Based on other picts that I looked at, also thanks to DJ, I think you are right about the repair procedure......thanks a bunch

Thanks to you guys, I had enough info to tackle this job. Just as sounguy replied, pins are tapered and have to take out ring gear to fix:thumbsup:. Though I send a couple of picts incase others may have this problem someday. You can see the pins just below the axle, just remove the nut and knock the pins out from the inside. Not too bad a job once you know what to look for. Waiting on parts now.

Attachments

• 101_0186.jpg
    101_0186.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 101_0187.jpg
    101_0187.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 101_0189.jpg
    101_0189.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 101_0190.jpg
    101_0190.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 299
   / Help fix paw in laws old tractor....please #10  
The pix show something that looks like a oil deflector on the left trumpet - is that what it is? Amazing how good that ring gear looks after 40-50 years! Glad you're doing the repair right.
Jim