Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move.

/ Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move. #1  

holysmokes

Tractor
Case 580K
I'm new to the site and have looked around a bit to see if anyone has this problem, but I don't see it.

Anyhow, I just bought a tired old diesel 4X4 1979 Case 580K Backhoe and found that she does not move in any of the four gears until almost completely warmed up. Even then she has to think about it half the time. Sometimes she will move, sometimes she won't. So far I changed the hydraulic filter and ensured the hydraulic fluid level is correct.

Bare with me ...I'm an old aircraft mechanic by trade, consequently I know little about diesel equipment. Any suggestions on the cause, oh and will fixing it break the bank?

/ Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move. #2  
You may find more info on it, down in the Construction Eq. section. I know I've read some threads on this subject. I have a '79 480C, and was interested, for just in case, down the road...

One thread mentioned the sump screen being plugged, then there are others. I believe another was, it's just the nature of the beast in cooler temps. Hope it's something simple like this.

/ Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move. #3  
I just bought a tired old diesel 4X4 1979 Case 580K Backhoe

I think you meant a 1989 Case 580K, didn't you?
In 1979 the 580 was a 580C and I don't think they ever made a 4X4 580C.

I only mention this because Case changed and went to the Carraro shuttle transmission midway through production on the 580K. I think the serial # break was JJG0020000. The 580K Series II had the Carraro shuttle while the original 580K had the old version like the 580C, 580D and 580E.

Depends on which transmission you have as to what your problem may be.

Hope this helps.

Mark

/ Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move.
Trader Mark,

I'm not sure about the year, although the guy I bought it from insists it is a 79. I noticed that the owners manual has a copywright of 1987 though.

/ Case 580K Backhoe doesn't like to move. #5  
I agree with Mark. Either the year or the model designation is incorrect, but it's irrelevant.

That machine is set up with a "shuttle" behind the engine. The shuttle is basically just the front half of an automatic transmission. Torque converter, pump and forward/reverse function. Then, there is a driveshaft that connects the shuttle to the trans-axle.

First thing you need to check is the fluid level in the shuttle. It has a separate dipstick from the trans-axle. See pic #6 in this listing (the dipstick for the shuttle is in the lower left part of the pic, right in front of the starter) :
1988 CASE 580K Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com
If it's full of fluid, and it's the correct fluid, then you probably have a weak pump. If that's the case, it will just get worse over time. IIRC, you're looking at about $2000-3000 to have the shuttle rebuilt.